- During a conference call with the Detroit media earlier this week, Jets coach Rex Ryan said that the NFL's best defense is coming to town on Sunday. He also added this when asked about the Lions potentially keeping up their high-scoring ways on Sunday:
"Nope," Ryan said. "I don’t believe that’s going to happen. Hey, they could come out and prove me wrong, but I doubt it. This is a proud group right here on defense. We haven’t really been healthy. We’re just now getting healthy and like I said, you’ll see. This is an excellent defense."Jim Schwartz declined to get into a trash-talking contest, but he did take a little bit of a shot at Ryan by saying this when asked about the Jets defense:
"They’re really good at stopping the run," Schwartz said. "They’ve done a good job of putting the pressure on the quarterback. I think they have what, 15 sacks? I think we have 22. I think that’s what it is."The Lions actually have 23 sacks, but point taken.
- C.C. Brown and Isaiah Ekejiuba have missed practice this week.
- Kevin Smith was limited on Wednesday and sidelined from practice on Thursday.
- Shaun Hill returned to practice on Thursday, taking reps as the third-string quarterback. It doesn't look like he will dress this week, though.
- Amari Spievey, the man who would step in as a starter if Brown is unable to play, is getting more comfortable with the safety position.
- As mentioned in a FanShot, Ndamukong Suh was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month and Stefan Logan was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Month for October.
- NFL.com posted a "Sound FX" video from the Lions' win over the Redskins. Suh and Jahvid Best are mic'd up for the video.
- An unnamed NFL scout said the following about Suh:
Ndamukong Suh is probably one of the top three or four rookies I’ve seen. He’s definitely solidified the front of the Lions’ defense—I think even more than Kyle Vanden Bosch. Suh is a guy who can do it all. He can play with power, and he can play with quickness to rush the passer. He’s not 330 pounds, but he plays strong and stout like that.Like I said on Wednesday and like the scout said above, Suh can do it all.
- Suh went on PTI earlier this week. Matthew Stafford
Calvin Johnsonwas on ESPN as well, stopping by Rome Is Burning (I couldn't find a video of the interview).
- Jets defensive backs apparently think Calvin Johnson is like LeBron James on the football field because of his size and athleticism.
- Tom Lewand said earlier this week that activity "has picked up on tickets for the rest of the season," which is great to hear.
- Former Lions defensive tackle Grady Jackson has signed with the UFL's Florida Tuskers.
- Only three teams claimed Shawne Merriman and the Lions weren't one of them.