On more than one occasion earlier this season, the Sprint Game Ball of the Week had to be handed out following a loss. When that happens, it's tough to put together a post considering there are oftentimes not many or any worthy candidates for the honor. This week, however, that is obviously not the case. After beating the Buccaneers on the road in overtime, many Lions players were considered for the Sprint Game Ball of the Week, as many are deserving of receiving the honor.
Here is a quick rundown of players considered for this week's Sprint Game Ball:
- QB Drew Stanton - 23/37, 252 yards, 1 TD
- RB Maurice Morris - 15 carries, 109 yards, 1 TD
- WR Calvin Johnson - 10 receptions, 152 yards
- WR Nate Burleson - 4 receptions, 28 yards, 1 TD
- The entire DL - 3 sacks
- LB DeAndre Levy - 11 tackles
- K Dave Rayner - 3/3 FG (including two in pressure-packed situations), 2/2 XP
Although there were many worthy candidates, to me it was an easy decision to give this week's Sprint Game Ball to Drew Stanton. Not only did he play well statistically, but he led the Lions down the field with no timeouts as the fourth quarter was coming to a close and put Dave Rayner in position to tie the game. Then, in overtime, he led the Lions down the field again, putting Rayner in position to not tie the game, but end it with a game-winning kick. For his performance and his second straight win, Stanton earns this week's Sprint Game Ball.