- I know a lot of people have been talking about how there was a deadline yesterday for restricted free agents to sign, but that was strictly a deadline for them to sign with other teams. The deadline for restricted free agents to sign their tenders isn't until June 15.
- I felt sorry for Casey FitzSimmons having to retire when I first heard the news, but after reading this quote from him, I really, really feel sorry for him, because he has the best attitude you can possibly ask for out of a football player.
"I think the worst part about this whole deal is that I can’t see the ship right -- for the Ford family, for the people of Detroit, for every Lions fan across America," the former tight end said today over the phone from his home in Montana. "I can’t be a part of this turnaround that I think is right around the corner.
"I think that’s what hurts the most having to make this decision, knowing damn well that my body -- legs, arms, everything -- can still play at a high level. It’s just one hit to the head, and it could be a whole different ballgame."
- The Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel conducted a poll about potential busts that play on the offensive line, and the results were interesting, to say the least.
Over the last few weeks, the Journal Sentinel polled 21 personnel people, asking them who among the top offensive linemen had the best chance to bust. The fact that Campbell led with 12 votes (had four votes and five others, including Iupati, each had one) can be attributed to a variety of reasons, but mental acuity was cited by four scouts.
- Utah offensive tackle Zane Beadles has privately worked out for the Lions.
- Idaho offensive guard Mike Iupati has also worked out for the Lions, and he has visited the team as well. The prospect visit tracker has been updated with this news.
- Sam Bradford won't sign a deal until after the draft. Which team that deal will be with is a little up in the air now that the Browns have revealed that they've had some talks with the Rams about trading up for the No. 1 pick. A deal doesn't necessarily seem likely, but it's just something to think about.
- Drew Stanton put up a post on his blog about his draft day experience.
- I can't remember if this has been mentioned on Pride of Detroit before, but I figured it was worth passing along that Nate Burleson will be wearing No. 13 for the Lions.
- Stan Kroenke, who is attempting to buy 100% of the Rams, has ties to a stadium group in Los Angeles. I'm sure that's no coincidence.
- NFL.com is running a "Predict the Pick" contest that gives participants a chance to win a trip to the 2011 Pro Bowl.
Friday Notes: Casey FitzSimmons Wanted to Help Right the Ship
By Sean Yuille
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.