- The Lions released Jahi Word-Daniels on Wednesday.
- Dan Graziano reports that the Rams are still the favorites to land Oshiomogho Atogwe.
- The reason the Lions wait until right before training camp to sign their draft picks is because it essentially gives them extra roster spots to use during OTAs and minicamps since rookies don't count against the 80-player limit until they're under contract.
- Tom Kowalski thinks it's likely that Kevin Smith will start training camp on the PUP list and that he could still be on the PUP list come the regular season, which would force him to miss the first six weeks of action.
- New special teams coordinator Danny Crossman's philosophy, as described by Nick Harris, is to "attack."
- A few Lions players got golf lessons the other day. Gosder Cherilus could use some more practice, as he almost launched a shot at his Escalade.
- According to Greg Cosell, the creator of NFL Match-Up, "[Matthew] Stafford is a more gifted passer than [Mark] Sanchez."
- Calvin Johnson recently said in a radio interview that "it's a privilege to be (in Detroit)."
- DeDe Dorsey gets teased about being on HBO's Hard Knocks last year when he played for Cincinnati.
- Unsurprisingly, statistics show that the Lions stink at defending deep passes.
- Philadelphia's Marlin Jackson ruptured the Achilles tendon in his right leg during an OTA earlier this week. He really just can't catch a break.
- Former Lion Dewayne White was the first overall pick of the UFL Draft. Fellow ex-Lions Ronald Curry, Demarcus Faggins, and Melvin Fowler were also selected.
Thursday Notes: Kevin Smith Headed to PUP List for Training Camp?
By Sean Yuille