- Jim Schwartz said this when asked about Kevin Smith's status as a Lion going forward:
"I don't know," coach Jim Schwartz said Tuesday. "I'll cross that bridge when we get there. I don't know that there's very many people that have 100% earned a spot."I personally don't believe the Lions will release Smith, but it's certainly possible.
- Matthew Stafford said he is going to play on Thursday against the Bills, but it's not known for how long.
- An unnamed NFL scout thinks the Lions will go 9-7 and open the season with a win against the Bears.
- Amari Spievey will practice at both safety and cornerback, although Jim Schwartz says safety is his main job.
- Eric Fowler, who was let go earlier in the week, is not eligible for the practice squad.
- The Lions' annual kickoff luncheon at Ford Field today is a sellout, meaning more than 1,000 people are expected to attend.
- Randy Phillips was named in a report about a Miami booster who is apparently planning to write a tell-all book on the violations the football program has made over the years. Phillips denied knowing anything about it and said he's focused on the Lions.
- Jason Hunter is doing very well as a linebacker in Denver's 3-4 defense and is apparently going to see more playing time in the future.
Lions Notes: Kevin Smith's Spot On The Roster In Jeopardy?
By Sean Yuille