- According to Jason La Canfora, the 2012 league year will begin at 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) on March 13. This means you will no longer need to stay up until midnight for news of signings and trades to start trickling in.
Dave Birkett reports that Mikel Leshoure's rehab is on schedule and he has started running on an underwater treadmill.
- Shaun Hill was selected earlier this week as the Lions' Ed Block Courage Award recipient. (Hill's father died in an accident last January.)
- Wendell Pierce, a New Orleans native and an actor known best for his roles in The Wire and Treme, joined Gunther Cunningham in taking Jared Allen to task for his comments earlier this week. Allen didn't only trash Detroit, he also trashed New Orleans, and Pierce responded with several tweets on Friday. The last one from his response was my favorite: "What Jared Allen needs to do is come to the Treme Gumbo Fest tomorrow. No need to practice Detroit is gonna STOMP you Sunday."
- The Saints had started planning how to stop Calvin Johnson six or seven weeks ago by using the double-team-jam-at-the-line technique in practice.
- The NFL is going to hold a "Super Regional Combine" at Ford Field on March 30 and 31. The combine will be the culmination of several regional combines that serve the purpose of giving players not invited to the main combine a chance to work out in front of scouts.
- Nate Burleson's fashion was critiqued by Tim Gunn, the host of "Project Runway," earlier this week when Gunn was at WXYZ. Burleson had a funny response to Gunn's comments.
Lions Notes: Actor Wendell Pierce Also Puts Jared Allen In His Place
By Sean Yuille