- Just how bad are the Detroit Lions' special teams cover units? On Sunday, the Lions became the first team since at least 1940 to allow a punt return touchdown and kick return touchdown in two consecutive games. (Via Larry Lage)
- Further proof of the Lions' awful special teams comes from this stat:
Since 2010 the Lions have allowed four kick off return touchdowns, tied for most in the NFL (San Diego), per STATS LLC.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSLions) September 30, 2012
- Still don't think there is a need to change things up? I present you with this:
Only 2 kickoff returns for a TD in the NFL this season -- both against Detroit, both for 105 yards— Rick Gosselin (@RickGosselinDMN) September 30, 2012
- Since their 5-0 start last season, the Lions have gone 6-10 if you include their playoff loss to the New Orleans Saints.
- As pointed out by Anwar Richardson, Sunday was the first time Matthew Stafford didn't throw a touchdown pass in a game he actually played in since the 2010 season opener against the Chicago Bears. In that game, he only played one half before having to leave with an injury.
- Lions defensive end Cliff Avril suffered a back injury on Sunday. Initially it looked like Avril suffered a bad knee injury, but it turns out he actually hurt his back.
- There was a scare when Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson took a helmet-to-helmet hit in Sunday's game. He looked woozy and underwent a concussion test on the sideline. Luckily, he passed it and returned to the game.
- Because the Lions were in their "jumbo" package to open Sunday's game, rookie Riley Reiff was credited with getting his first career start. The Lions actually drew a pair of flags on the play, but Reiff still got credit for the start.
- The hilarious airbrushed shirt from Matthew Stafford's Monday Night Football commercial is now being sold at Ford Field. Kelly Hall, Stafford's girlfriend, showed off the shirt on Sunday.
- It certainly seems like safety Louis Delmas is close to returning.
Lions S Louis Delmas is healthy enough to dance on surgically repaired left knee as he just did surrounded by teammates but still can't play— Larry Lage (@LarryLage) September 30, 2012
- The referee from Sunday's game thanked fans and players before things kicked off.
Referee Clete Blakeman says "Thanks for your support, it's good to be back" to the players at midfield for the coin toss.— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) September 30, 2012
Lions notes: Special teams mediocrity, injury updates, more
Lions notes takes a look at just how bad the special teams cover units are, injury updates, Matthew Stafford's airbrushed shirt and more.
By Sean Yuille