- The NFL fined Detroit Lions cornerback Alphonso Smith $15,750 for his horse-collar tackle on Brandon Marshall in Monday night's game against the Chicago Bears. I thought the call was pretty weak in the first place, so a fine for it seems pretty ridiculous.
- Calvin Johnson is planning to use Richard Sherman's new Twitter name (Optimus Prime) as motivation on Sunday. Personally, I don't think what Sherman did is a huge deal, but if it helps wake up Johnson and the Lions' offense, I'm all for it.
Dominic Raiola is not a fan of what Sherman did.
Raiola on cb Richard Sherman who changed his Twitter handle to Optimus Prime: "He's a good player but, whatever -- f*ck 'em."— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) October 25, 2012
- Drayton Florence, who will be eligible to be activated from injured reserve before the Lions' game against the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 18, is hoping to return to practice next week. Since he was designated to return from IR, he is eligible to practice six weeks after going on the list, and those six weeks are almost up.
- Speaking of injuries, Nate Burleson had "successful surgery" on his broken leg on Friday.
- The trailer for Chris Spielman: A Football Life is out. It will premiere next Wednesday on NFL Network.
- Ndamukong Suh came in 10th on SI's most overrated NFL players list, which was voted on by 180 NFL players. No. 1 and No. 2 on the list? None other than Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez.
- Speaking of Suh, he is featured in a new Nike commercial (along with Alex Morgan) and a new Nike video.
- The Lions' official site has two hilarious videos involving Justin Durant. The first has him interviewing teammates about who on the team they think would make the best president. The second has him asking his teammates about what their intro music would be.
- The Lions' official site also has a video of Jim Schwartz breaking down a play involving Riley Reiff.
- Minnesota Vikings cornerback Chris Cook has been placed on injured reserve with the designation to return after breaking his arm. He is likely done for the rest of the regular season.
Lions notes: Alphonso Smith fined by NFL for horse-collar tackle
Lions notes looks at the fine Alphonso Smith received from the NFL, Calvin Johnson, Dominic Raiola and much more.
By Sean Yuille