Here are notes from Sunday's practice:
- Different day, same awesome Matthew Stafford:
Matthew Stafford throwing with surgical precision. He's gotten better in the offseason.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) July 29, 2012
Stafford is threading needles out here. Impressive— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 29, 2012
- Stefan Logan continued to "impress" on Sunday as a running back, according to Anwar Richardson. I know a lot of people think he won't make the team, but his performance at running back may give coaches a reason to keep him around.
- Jarett Dillard had a solid performance in the Lions' one-on-one drill, according to Justin Rogers.
- Nate Burleson and Maurice Stovall had a couple of nice catches.
- Anwar Richardson tweeted that Brandon Pettigrew was "having his way" in the seven-on-seven drill.
- With Jeff Backus out on Sunday, Corey Hilliard got first-team reps at left tackle. Jason Fox, who had a good practice, was the second-team left tackle, while Riley Reiff moved up to second-team right tackle.
Kyle Vanden Bosch forced a fumble on Sunday by stripping Nate Burleson.
Everette Brown and Jason Fox apparently had a pretty good battle during a pass rush drill.
Everette Brown gets past Fox in pass rush drill. Fox got the best Brown next play. I like this drill.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 29, 2012
- Stephen Tulloch said on Sunday that his knee isn't quite 100 percent healthy just yet, as he's still dealing with some tendinitis in it.
- The Lions' starters and backups at linebacker have been looking good.
#lions starting LB corps quietly working very well. Levy, Durant, Tulloch have become solid unit. Playing off each other well— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) July 29, 2012
#Lions LBs Travis Lewis and Doug Hogue playing aggressive and making plays— Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) July 29, 2012
- In case you missed it earlier, Jacob Lacey had a really solid day of practice.
- Bill Bentley appears to be the early favorite to be the Lions' nickelback.
CB Bill Bentley taking nickel reps for third straight day. That seems to be his job early in camp. Getting better daily.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) July 29, 2012
- With Erik Coleman missing Sunday's practice, Amari Spievey once again was working with the first-team defense at safety. Don Carey also got some action on the first team when he stepped in for Louis Delmas.
- Ricardo Silva picked off R.J. Archer and Sean Jones picked off Shaun Hill during Sunday's practice.
- Stefan Logan, Ryan Broyles and Patrick Edwards returned punts for the Lions on Sunday.
- Ryan Donahue was the first-team punter and got "good height" but "average distance" on his kicks, according to Chris McCosky. McCosky did later tweet that Donahue's final two punts were "beauties."