The Detroit Lions continued training camp on Saturday with another morning practice. On Sunday, the Lions will head to Ford Field for a night practice that will be followed by a concert. Here's a look at some notes from Saturday's session, which was held at their facility in Allen Park:
- Running backs coach Sam Gash was not at practice because he is at the Pro Football Hall of Fame to watch Curtis Martin get inducted. Gash was once Martin's fullback, so he was excused from Saturday's practice to be at the Hall of Fame. Wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson took over Gash's duties and coached both running backs and wide receivers on Saturday.
- Speaking of running backs, Joique Bell had a good day, according to Jim Schwartz.
Joique Bell turned 26 Sat. Someone sent cake, balloons to Lions camp. Better gift: "He had a really good day today," said Jim Schwartz.— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) August 4, 2012
- According to Anwar Richardson, Lance Long had a long touchdown reception against Drew Coleman.
- Brandon Pettigrew beat Sean Jones for a long touchdown of his own, according to Tim Twentyman.
- Riley Reiff was taking snaps as the second-team right tackle on Saturday, while Corey Hilliard was the second-team left tackle.
- Reiff, Hilliard and Jason Fox rotated as the third offensive tackle in the Lions' goal line drill.
- The Lions moved Nick Fairley to defensive end during a drill on Saturday, and Gunther Cunningham confirmed after practice that they will move defensive linemen around to catch opposing offenses off guard.
Fairley getting a look at DE in team drill. Hasn't gone swimmingly so far. Better inside— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 4, 2012
Gunther Cunningham confirmed Suh and Fairley will shift outside, to "surprise people like the wolves from that movie, The Grey."— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 4, 2012
- It may be tough to go up against Calvin Johnson every day, but the positive is it can make you better by facing such a talented player.
I love the way CB Chris Houston wants to go against Calvin in every drill. Makes him so much better— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 4, 2012
- Alphonso Smith intercepted a tipped pass and returned it for a touchdown on Saturday.
- Cunningham described Bill Bentley as someone who "plays like he's been there before."
- Cunningham also chimed in on Jonte Green after Saturday's practice.
DC Gunther Cunningham on Jonte Green: He's fast, but he needs to work on the smaller things.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 4, 2012
CB Jonte Green, who hadn't produced many highlights in workouts so far, made a pair of nice breakups in team drills.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 4, 2012
- It sounds like Jacob Lacey had a strong practice on Saturday.
CB Jacob Lacey having a very good practice. Several nice breakups in team drills. He remains in the starting CB fight— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 4, 2012
Spievey and Lacey having strong 7- on-7 period— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 4, 2012
- Amari Spievey and Erik Coleman were once again the first-team safeties with Louis Delmas still out.
- There seemed to be some mixed opinions on Sean Jones' performance on Saturday.
Veteran DBs Drew Coleman and Sean Jones not showing much thus far— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 4, 2012
— Anwar Richardson (@AnwarRichardson) August 4, 2012
#Lions S Sean Jones playing on second team. He has been solid