The Detroit Lions resumed training camp with a practice on Wednesday after getting a day off on Tuesday. Here are notes from Wednesday's session:
- The Lions got a scare from running back Kevin Smith on Wednesday. He took a knee to his quad toward the end of practice and had to get it iced. Luckily, it doesn't sound like too serious of an injury.
- Defensive tackle Sammie Hill sat out Wednesday's practice because he's dealing with back spasms.
- Defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch once again missed practice and had his right leg wrapped, according to Paula Pasche.
- Here's a list of the other players who were out on Wednesday: Mikel Leshoure, Ryan Broyles, Jonathan Scott, Andre Fluellen, Don Carey and Louis Delmas, who had knee surgery on Tuesday. The Lions also were again without Jahvid Best and Chris Greenwood, who remain on the PUP list.
- Amazingly, running back Stephfon Green was able to practice on Wednesday despite suffering a knee injury on Monday.
- Breaking news: Calvin Johnson had a drop during Monday's practice.
- The Lions' second-team wide receivers on Wednesday consisted of Patrick Edwards, Stefan Logan and Maurice Stovall, according to Tim Twentyman.
- The depth chart the Lions released on Tuesday didn't seem to be 100 percent accurate, but it was correct in listing Riley Reiff as the second-team right tackle, as that's where he practiced on Wednesday.
- Corey Hilliard actually got some work as the first-team right tackle during team drills on Wednesday.
- The sloppiness from Monday's practice seemed to carry over to Wednesday.
OL coaches now colorfully voicing their displeasure with the unit's run blocking. It's justified. Unit's been sloppy today— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 8, 2012
- The defensive line also was a bit sloppy at times on Wednesday.
Schwartz very displeased with Dline. Jumping snaps. Playing sloppy— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 8, 2012
Jim Schwartz stopping practice for whole-team meeting. He's rarely happy when he has those.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 8, 2012
- Cliff Avril batted down one of Matthew Stafford's passes on Wednesday.
- With Kyle Vanden Bosch missing practice, Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young both got a chance to take first-team reps.
- The Lions busted out one of their different looks for the defensive line on Wednesday, and Ronnell Lewis made a pretty good play.
Lions showing a bit of a 3-man DL look w/ Fairley, Suh, Williams and Ronnell coming from stand-up position. Batted down MS pass on 1st play— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 8, 2012
DE Ronnell Lewis blows up play in team drills. Even without pads its easy to see why they call him " Hammer"— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 8, 2012
- Travis Lewis has typically played middle linebacker for the Lions so far during training camp, but he got reps as a second-team outside linebacker on Wednesday.
- The Lions' first-team cornerbacks were Chris Houston and Bill Bentley on Monday. Jacob Lacey served as the nickelback.
- The Lions had Stefan Logan and Patrick Edwards returning punts on Wednesday.