The Detroit Lions were forced to take practice indoors on Thursday morning due to bad weather. This was their final practice before Friday's preseason opener, and you can check out notes from the session below.
- The Lions were once again without Jahvid Best, Mikel Leshoure, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Chris Greenwood, Louis Delmas and Don Carey.
- Ryan Broyles did run some routes on Thursday, but for the most part he didn't take part in practice because he's dealing with "soreness."
- Kevin Smith practiced and was "running fine," according to Tim Twentyman. Smith took a knee to his quad on Wednesday, so this is good news.
- The Lions had their third-team offense on the field quite a bit on Thursday, according to Tim Twentyman.
- I don't think we'll ever see this happen in a game:
Shaun Hill having fun at practice today. Just ran a little zone read option like Denard Robinson -- but a lot slower. Having a good time— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 9, 2012
- Joique Bell dropped down and did 10 push-ups after dropping a pass during practice.
- Riley Reiff got work as the second-team left tackle on Thursday, while Jason Fox got reps as the second-team right tackle.
- There was a bit of a dust-up between Dominic Raiola and Tahir Whitehead during Thursday's practice, and Raiola later got into it with Tracy Robertson.
Dom Raiola just got tripped in 11 on 11, got up, slugged Whitehead in the helmet. Both sides went right back to huddle— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 9, 2012
Now Raiola and DL Tracy Robertson mix it up a little. Lions take 1st team offense out immediately— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 9, 2012
And as— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 9, 2012
@woodywoodriffe points out, Stafford goes over and talks to Whitehead for a second on the side
Schwartz on Whitehead-Raiola dustup in practice: "I think Tahir handled himself well there." TRANSLATION: Raiola started it— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 9, 2012
- According to Chris McCosky, Cliff Avril was "flying around" practice and looked "impressive."
- The Lions had Bill Bentley, John Wendling and Erik Coleman on the first-team defense again on Thursday. Jacob Lacey again served as the first-team nickelback.
- Bentley picked off Kellen Moore during Thursday's practice.
- Jonte Green's name hasn't come up too much so far during training camp, but this is what Jim Schwartz had to say about him on Thursday:
Schwartz on CB Jonte Green: his play hasn't been consistent...but he makes plays every day that turns your head— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 9, 2012
- Willie Young got some reps as a blocker on the kick return unit.
- Here's a look at who the Lions had on their kick coverage unit during Thursday's practice:
Kick coverage team: Whitehead, Silva, R. Lewis, Lacey, S. Jones, Hogue, Logan, K. Williams, A. Palmer and Wendling.— Lions RapidReports (@CBSSportsNFLDET) August 9, 2012