- Why did Jim Schwartz call a timeout at the end of Sunday's game only to take a knee to bring it to an end? He apparently wanted a shot at a miraculous sequence that would have involved blocking a punt, returning it for a touchdown, recovering an onside kick and scoring another touchdown on a Hail Mary. I guess after the Lions' game against the Tennessee Titans last year, you never say never in those situations.
- The announcers for Sunday's Detroit Lions game against the Cleveland Browns are going to be Tom McCarthy (who?) and Heath Evans. (Next week, the Lions will be on CBS when they take on the Cincinnati Bengals.)
- The Browns have reportedly had conversations with the San Francisco 49ers about trading wide receiver Josh Gordon. Per Ian Rapoport, the Browns want a second-round pick for Gordon. A trade would be risky given Gordon's off-field issues, but a second-round pick seems like a pretty good deal for a team like the Lions, which are in desperate need of help at wide receiver. I'd personally take that risk, especially since it seems like drafting a wide receiver in the second round could happen in 2014 anyway. What say you?
- The pink flag experiment is thankfully ending after only one week. The NFL is going back to yellow flags in Week 6.
- Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews may miss at least a month after breaking his thumb on Sunday.
- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Nate Collins is out for the year with a torn ACL.
- Former Lions quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, who was on the Buffalo Bills' practice squad, is now on their active roster and will start for them this week with E.J. Manuel injured.
- The Minnesota Vikings may have signed Josh Freeman, but he isn't going to start at quarterback this week.
- You're doing it wrong, Oakland Raiders.
Raiders spent a fourth-round pick in 2013 on Tyler Wilson and cut him, and a fifth-round pick in '14 on Matt Flynn and cut him. Not great.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) October 7, 2013
- The Jacksonville Jaguars are as bad at Twitter as they are at football.
Stay classy, Denver. RT @DenverBroncos: The #Broncos' 51 points in yesterday's win are as many points as the Jaguars have scored all season.— Jacksonville Jaguars (@jaguars) October 7, 2013
No shots, just stats. RT @jaguars: Stay classy, Denver. MT @DenverBroncos: #Broncos' 51 pts Sun. are as many as JAX has scored all season.— Denver Broncos (@DenverBroncos) October 7, 2013
Lions notes: Josh Gordon for a second-round pick?
Lions notes looks at Jim Schwartz, the idea of trading for Josh Gordon and much more.
By Sean Yuille