- The Detroit Lions tried to trade Mike Thomas before simply releasing him, according to Jason La Canfora. Thomas ended up quickly signing with the Arizona Cardinals after he became a free agent.
- SI's Chris Burke has a solid breakdown on how the Lions have been getting creative with Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley.
- This is a pretty interesting stat:
- This is pretty high praise:
Tom Brady on #Lions D: '... Fairley & Suh are as good as anybody in the league.They’re tough, physical, hard-nosed, they play for 60 minutes— Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) August 19, 2013
- The Lions had some high praise of their own for Tom Brady.
Suh respects Tom Brady, called him classy, then added, "Any time you can take down a future Hall of Famer it's always some fun."— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 18, 2013
Delmas on Brady: "He's competitive and I'm competitive but that dude there is like god on the field." #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 19, 2013
- Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford were both included on a list of the favorites to win the 2013 NFL MVP award. Johnson received 25/1 odds and Stafford got 33/1 odds.
- Johnson and Suh both made NFL.com's projected 2013 All-Pro team.
- The Minnesota Vikings released cornerback Jacob Lacey this week.
- Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller has been suspended for six games. In turn, the Broncos have signed former Lions linebacker Paris Lenon to provide extra depth at the position.
- Former Lions beat writer Anwar Richardson is now writing for Yahoo! Sports.
Lions notes: Detroit tried to trade Mike Thomas before releasing him
Lions notes looks at Mike Thomas, various tidbits on Detroit's defensive tackles and much more.
By Sean Yuille