- The right side of the first-team offensive line initially consisted of Jake Scott at guard and Jason Fox at tackle. Larry Warford began practice with the second unit, but he later got some work as the No. 1 right guard.
- Speaking of Warford, he apparently had a "tough time" with Ndamukong Suh during the Lions' 11-on-11 drill.
Warford having a tough time with Suh in this 11-on-11 goal line drill. Suh got him twice. Blew up one play. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 3, 2013
- Dylan Gandy, who was the first-team right guard the last couple days, got work as the No. 2 center on Saturday.
- Matthew Stafford was on his game on Saturday.
For you worry-warts out there, Stafford has only thrown one incompletion in two 7-on-7 segments. Happy?— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 3, 2013
Stafford on the mark today. Great timing pass to CJ in red zone drill— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 3, 2013
- Calvin Johnson was on his game as well.
I think this Calvin Johnson fella has a chance to make the team. Another toe-tap TD. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 3, 2013
First team red zone offense scores twice on TDs to @Bigplaycj and @brandonpettigrew— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) August 3, 2013
- In case you missed it earlier, Kris Durham had another outstanding practice on Saturday.
- This is a perfect example of why it'll be nice for the Lions to have a playmaker like Reggie Bush coming out of the backfield:
Megatron draws two defenders deep, Stafford zips one to the flat for Reggie Bush vs. a LB. Probably see that a few times this season.— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) August 3, 2013
- Here are a few offensive-centric updates on the blocking/pass rush drills the Lions went through:
Brandon Pettigrew just stonewalled Ronnell Lewis twice in pass rush drills. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 3, 2013
@ReggieBush owns LB Brandon Hepburn in blocking drills and talks trash to all the linebackers.— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) August 3, 2013
Besides Rob Sims vs. Nick Fairley, the offensive line got crushed in one-on-ones today. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 3, 2013
- Dave Birkett posted Vines of the wide receivers and tight ends going through drills.
- Perhaps we shouldn't close the door on the idea of Travis Lewis being the starting left outside linebacker just yet, because he ran with the first team at that position on Saturday.
- With three defensive ends out on Saturday, the top three players at the position were Ziggy Ansah, Ronnell Lewis and Devin Taylor.
- Ansah and the defensive line seemingly had a really solid practice.
Defensive line was better than the offensive line almost across the board in 1 on 1s (first team)— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 3, 2013
Ansah doesn't get enough credit for how strong he is. We know he's fast, but pushed Reiff right back into bag in pass-rush drill #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 3, 2013
- Ansah did catch some heat from Jim Schwartz for a "little extra push" he gave an offensive player after a play. It sounds like there was more chippiness than usual during Saturday's practice, but that's really just something that happens as training camp drags on.
- According to Chris McCosky, Ndamukong Suh hosted 90 kids from Detroit public schools at practice on Saturday.
- Suh led the way when some defensive linemen gave chase to the running backs down the field in a drill that Kyle Vanden Bosch certainly would have appreciated.
- Nick Fairley had a funny comment about his jersey getting ripped during practice.
Nick Fairley's jersey ripped during practice today. He has no idea it happened but was alarmed when he "looked down and saw my love handles"— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) August 3, 2013
- David Akers and Havard Rugland both went 4-for-4 with a long of 50 yards on their field goals on Saturday. (Rugland apparently came quite close to missing his final attempt, though.)
- The four punt returners on Saturday were Mike Thomas, Micheal Spurlock, Steven Miller and Patrick Edwards.