- The first-team offensive line on Wednesday featured Jake Scott at right guard and Corey Hilliard at right tackle. Larry Warford and Jason Fox were with the second-team offense, but Warford later got No. 1 reps at right guard.
Jeff Backus was at practice on Wednesday to help coach the offensive line.
- Some wide receivers we haven't heard a whole lot about so far drew some attention on Wednesday.
WR Terrence Austin continues to get reps with first team offense. Kind of running those old Stefan Logan plays— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 7, 2013
Matt Willis just had a nice deep grab after getting behind Slay. Willis was with the 2nd team but snuck a rep with the 1s earlier— Mike Mady (@lionsreport) August 7, 2013
Willis and Spurlock can offer something as wide receivers. Both have made plays today. Not just ST guys. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 7, 2013
Corey Fuller, on the other hand, drew some attention for a negative reason.
Corey Fuller gets chewed out by Coach Lappano for lackadaisical catch allowing Ron Bartell to knock it away. Rookies— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 7, 2013
Nate Burleson said during a live chat on ESPN.com on Wednesday that Joseph Fauria and Calvin Johnson "have probably caught the ball the best in this camp." Burleson also talked up Patrick Edwards quite a bit.
- Per Brad Galli, Johnson has been watching film with Matthew Stafford in order to see the field like a quarterback.
- This pretty much sums up Brandon Pettigrew:
7 on 7, Pettigrew drops an easy one, next play streaking down middle with great 1-handed catch— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 7, 2013
- Mike Mady has a recap of the Lions' "gotta win" drill.
#Lions starting a session called "gotta win period" 2 seconds left. Offense has the ball on the 30.— Mike Mady (@lionsreport) August 7, 2013
20 yard completion to Calvin on 1st play, no end zone. Moved to 25 next play, incomplete. Incomplete on 3rd play from 20. 2s coming out.— Mike Mady (@lionsreport) August 7, 2013
Second string got into end zone on 3rd try. Hill to Fauria for the TD. #lionscamp— Mike Mady (@lionsreport) August 7, 2013
- The Lions' first-team defensive ends at the start of Wednesday's practice were Jason Jones and Ziggy Ansah. Later, Willie Young stepped in for Ansah.
- Jones made his presence felt by batting down a pass at the line of scrimmage.
- This is interesting:
Watching D-ends, they are working on inside rush techniques more than ever though Schwartz insists the Wide 9 still lives— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) August 7, 2013
Ashlee Palmer was the first-team left outside linebacker on Wednesday.
- Ron Bartell continued to be the first-team right cornerback.
David Akers went at least 2-for-2 in a drill where the Lions had to hurry to get their field goal unit on the field.
- According to Mady, Havard Rugland made two field goals before pushing a 61-yard attempt wide right.
- The Lions practiced onside kicks on Wednesday.
Steven Miller showed off his speed as the Lions' punt returner.
It is fun to watch Steve Miller return punts when he gets to full speed. Has another gear. Took 1st reps today returning punts. #lionscamp— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) August 7, 2013