- Kyle Van Noy and TJ Jones are now eligible to practice, and it appears that both players could return to practice this week. Van Noy, who is currently on injured reserve with the designation to return, won't be eligible to play until after the Detroit Lions' bye week. Jones, on the other hand, could be activated as soon as he starts practicing, but he will likely remain on the PUP list all season unless an injury opens up a spot at wide receiver.
- Ziggy Ansah only played 33 snaps on Sunday, but he made a major impact on the game.
Ziggy Ansah had a sack, hit or hurry, once every 2.88 pass rushing attempts yesterday. Impressive is an understatment.— Gordon McGuinness (@PFF_Gordon) October 13, 2014
- The Lions are racking up a lot of sacks on third down this season.
Through 6 games, 10 of the @Lions' League-leading 20 sacks have come on 3rd down. Yesterday at Minnesota, team had 4 sacks on 3rd down.— Eamonn Reynolds (@Eamonn_Reynolds) October 13, 2014
- The Lions ran a very odd play on Sunday that featured Travis Swanson going out for a bubble screen and Larry Warford going downfield as a receiver. Unfortunately, the play didn't work.
Caldwell on Warford package: "It did not give them a problem" said he really wanted to see that play develop because thought it would work— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) October 13, 2014
- Why did the Lions use a squib kick on the opening kickoff of Sunday's game? Jim Caldwell explained the decision on Monday:
Caldwell said the squib kick to open the game was wind related: We didn't want 84 to run it down our throat.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) October 13, 2014
- Based on what Nick Fairley told USA Today's Tom Pelissero, it appears that a big part of the Lions' improvement on defense has to do with their preparation leading up to games: "Our preparation is totally different this year by how (coaches) come in and by giving us the stuff on, say, like a guard. They might come in with a whole sheet of his weaknesses to exploit."
- If only Willie Young had played like this in Detroit:
Bears DE Willie Young leads the NFL with seven sacks, one more than he had in four seasons with the Lions.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) October 13, 2014
Lions notes: Kyle Van Noy, TJ Jones, more
Lions notes looks at updates on Kyle Van Noy and TJ Jones, the impact Ziggy Ansah made on Sunday's game and much more.
By Sean Yuille
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.