- The Detroit Lions aren't planning to re-sign David Akers, and he could end up being replaced by John Potter or Giorgio Tavecchio, who joined the team via futures deals after the 2013 season. If the Lions later decide to add another kicker either in the draft or as an undrafted free agent, Tulane's Cairo Santos, who is from Brazil, could be an option:
@PrideOfDetroit Kicker Cairo Santos just said on brazilian media that Bonamego reached out several times and said the Lions really liked him— Matheus Rocha (@matheus_rocha) February 24, 2014
@PrideOfDetroit And Cairo said that if he falls down to free agency, the Lions are his top choice.— Matheus Rocha (@matheus_rocha) February 24, 2014
John Clayton reports that the NFL salary cap is now projected to go up to $132 million this year. This is up from the $130 million number that was reported last week.
Matthew Stafford came in as the 10th-most overvalued quarterback in 2013. I'm honestly surprised he wasn't higher on the list.
- Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan is a big Ndamukong Suh fan.
- BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy has been keeping up with Ziggy Ansah as he goes through the draft process.
- Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller would love to end up in Detroit with Corey Fuller, who is his brother.
VT CB Kyle Fuller on playing w/brother Corey on the Lions: "That'd mean a lot .. That would be a lot of fun"— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) February 23, 2014
- This is pretty remarkable considering Dri Archer is only 5'8:
Dri Archer ran is 4.26 40 yesterday in 18 steps. That ties Calvin Johnson's combine mark for fewest steps. #NFLCombine— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) February 24, 2014
Lions notes: Possible kicker option for Detroit
Lions notes looks at Cairo Santos, Kyle Van Noy, Corey Fuller and much more.
By Sean Yuille
If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.