- The year-by-year details are out for the contracts the Detroit Lions gave to Golden Tate and Joique Bell.
Golden Tate five year deal $31 million, $13.25 million, $8 million bonus; salaries $1.5 million, $3.75M, $4.75M, $6M, $7M— Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) March 13, 2014
Joique Bell has a $2.3M cap number this year and $3.5M each of the next 2 years. Officially, got a $3M signing bonus.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 13, 2014
- Via the Free Press, a quick note on the salary cap: Detroit had a $1.47 million carryover from last year, but that was canceled out by $2.25 million in various credits and debits (i.e. the incentives in Louis Delmas' contract). What this means is that the Lions' salary cap limit for 2014 is technically $132.22 million.
- With No. 81 taken by Calvin Johnson, Tate has decided to wear No. 15 in Detroit. Here are some former players who wore that number for the Lions:
Golden Tate to wear No. 15. That storied number has been worn by former Lions Stoney Case, Kevin Hickman and punter Tom Skladany.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) March 13, 2014
- Random stat... Only two Lions players are signed beyond 2017: Tate (through 2018) and Johnson (through 2019).
- After getting a look at UCLA outside linebacker Anthony Barr earlier this week, Martin Mayhew checked out Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert's pro day on Thursday. Brian Xanders, meanwhile, was at Colorado's pro day this week, likely to get a look at wide receiver Paul Richardson.
- There hasn't been much activity on the Nate Burleson front since the Lions released him last month, but the Tennessee Titans are reportedly showing interest in him. I wonder if a reunion with former Lions wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson, who holds that job in Tennessee, could be in the works.
- Matthew Stafford recently threw a football into a basketball hoop from full-court distance -- and yes, there's video of the trick shot.
- The Chicago Bears are apparently planning to start Willie Young at defensive end.
Lions notes: Contract details for Golden Tate, Joique Bell
Lions notes looks at some contract news involving Golden Tate and Joique Bell, a couple pro day updates and much more.
By Sean Yuille