- Shaun Hill is set to become a free agent on Tuesday, and it looks like the New York Jets might make a run at signing him.
Jets have expressed some level of interest in QB Shaun Hill, per source. #nyj— Seth Walder (@SethWalderNYDN) March 8, 2014
- Detroit Lions president Tom Lewand recently told the team's official site that Ndamukong Suh's contract situation "doesn’t impact what we’re getting ready to do when the league year starts next week." Obviously getting a deal done and having more cap space would be ideal, but the Lions' general plan for free agency isn't going to be affected by what happens with Suh.
- Safety Charles Woodson plans to continue playing football, and he said "never say never" when asked on Saturday about potentially joining the Lions.
- Joique Bell said on Sunday that he and Lions are "still trying to figure out what to do" when it comes to his contract situation. He's set to become a restricted free agent but is hoping to instead sign a long-term deal. (Bell also said that he is planning to speak with wide receiver Lance Moore, who was recently released by the New Orleans Saints. Bell and Moore were teammates in New Orleans.)
- NFL.com posted a great video in remembrance of Lions owner William Clay Ford, who died on Sunday of pneumonia.
- The Lions released the following statement on Sunday in response to questions about their transition of ownership: "Today we are mourning the loss of Mr. Ford and reflecting on the impact that he had on the Lions and on our community. Information related to ownership succession will be communicated at the appropriate time."
- Matthew Stafford released the following statement through the Lions on Ford's passing:
"I am extremely saddened by the passing of Mr. Ford. He was a tremendous owner, as well as a respected and passionate leader of our football team.
"He gave me and many people in the city of Detroit an opportunity to be a part of something great. He was a joy to play for, and his love for the Lions and the city of Detroit will be something we all remember.
"My thoughts and prayers are with the Ford family, and I will always be thankful for the opportunity and the honor to play for Mr. Ford and his beloved Lions."
- MLive has a look at "five days that helped define the Ford era" of Lions football. Also at MLive is a recap of what Bill Ford Jr. had to say about his father's passing.
- Lions safeties coach Alan Williams attended Northern Illinois' pro day on Friday to take a look at safety Jimmie Ward.
- I like the way Sammy Watkins thinks.
- Pro Football Talk reports that the NFL salary cap could jump to $145 million in 2015 and $160 million in 2016. The NFL is basically printing money at this point.
- Defensive end Jared Allen isn't going to re-sign with the Vikings. In likely related news, the Vikings re-signed defensive end Everson Griffen to a five-year deal worth $42.5 million on Sunday.
Lions notes: Jets interested in Shaun Hill?
Lions notes looks at Shaun Hill and various free agency updates, additional information on the passing of William Clay Ford and much more.
By Sean Yuille