- Ndamukong Suh's absence from the Detroit Lions' workouts this week was a big topic of conversation on Thursday. Here's what Lions head coach Jim Caldwell had to say about the situation:
Jim Caldwell said he "wasn't blindsided" by Ndamukong Suh's absence. Said he's talked to Suh more than any other player.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) April 10, 2014
Caldwell on Suh: "We want every single minute of every single hour with every single player." Said he knew Suh would be absent this week— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) April 10, 2014
- Matthew Stafford had probably the best take on the situation with Suh:
#Lions Stafford on Suh: 'Wherever he is and whatever he’s doing I’m sure he’s doing the right things not only for himself but for our team.— Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) April 10, 2014
#Lions Stafford on Suh: '... When he shows up he’ll be in great shape, he’s going to be playing great fb and we’ll be happy to have him.'— Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) April 10, 2014
- Reggie Bush chalked up Suh's absence as being related to his contract situation and said that "nobody's looking down on him." Bush admitted that he hasn't actually talked to Suh about the situation, though, and Ian Rapoport reports that it's got nothing to do with Suh's contract. Rapoport also reports that Suh will be at the Lions' voluntary minicamp later this month, so this doesn't seem like a very big deal in the grand scheme of things.
- Stafford did not meet with a quarterback guru this offseason, but he's excited to work with Caldwell, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and quarterbacks coach Jim Bob Cooter.
- The Lions are starting to install their offensive and defensive schemes. In preparation for the Lions' new offensive system, Stafford took a look at some New Orleans Saints film this offseason.
- This is pretty funny:
I thanked Stafford for wearing his hat the right way, and he promptly turned it around.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 10, 2014
- Caldwell had good things to say about what he's seen out of Nick Fairley so far.
Caldwell couldn't say whether Fairley has been hustling because he cant work with players, but said "he's been hustling in the meeting room"— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) April 10, 2014
Caldwell on Fairley: "He's been great so far, doing what he's supposed to do. He's here, he's working, he's learning the system."— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) April 10, 2014
- NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah is fully on board with the idea of the Lions trading up to get Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins.
- The Lions' preseason finale at the Buffalo Bills on Aug. 28 will kick off at 7 p.m. ET.
- Safety Thomas DeCoud, who visited the Lions in March, has signed a two-year deal with the Carolina Panthers that is worth up to $3.75 million, according to Adam Schefter.
Lions notes: Ndamukong Suh, Matthew Stafford, more
Lions notes looks at the reaction to Ndamukong Suh's absence from the team's workouts this week, various tidbits on Matthew Stafford and much more.
By Sean Yuille