Detroit Lions owner Martha Ford was at the team's practice on Tuesday.
Dominic Raiola had a great line about why he decided to attend the Lions' voluntary minicamp.
Raiola, tongue-in-cheek, on why he's at voluntary minicamp: "I got nothing better to do."— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 22, 2014
- When asked about Ndamukong Suh's absence, Raiola declined to criticize him. However, Raiola did say that the Lions "miss him," and he did a nice job of summing up the situation:
Raiola tepidly backs Suh's decision to skip minicamp, but adds "it's drawing attention we don't need."— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) April 22, 2014
- Raiola is fine with the idea of the Lions drafting a center because he's aware that he "can't play forever."
- I think it's safe to say that Tulloch is rooting for Sammy Watkins to be drafted by the Lions next month.
Tulloch mentioned a lot of players he likes in the draft, but thinks Sammy Watkins is a once-every-10-years player.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 22, 2014
- According to Justin Rogers, Tulloch's annual charity softball game that was previously against Nate Burleson is going to continue, as Raiola is going to take over as the opposing coach.
Chris Houston's absence from Tuesday's practice was in fact related to an injury.
Jim Caldwell on Chris Houston: "He is injured, there's no question about that."— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) April 22, 2014
- I like the sound of this:
#Lions Jim Caldwell said he can tell from today's 1st minicamp that Matthew Stafford and Golden Tate will 'function well together.'— Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) April 22, 2014
- Per Tim Twentyman, the Lions brought in tight end Jordan Thompson, offensive tackle Cordaro Howard, offensive guards Sherman Carter and Josh Jenkins and center Kevin Matthews as tryout players for their voluntary minicamp.
- Dave Birkett reports that Cory Greenwood recently renegotiated his contract.
Small change to #Lions cap: Renegotiation w/Cory Greenwood eliminated 2015 contract year, brought base this year down to $645k. Split salary— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) April 22, 2014
- If you're planning on ordering a customized Golden Tate jersey, keep this in mind:
For all the jerseyheads (is that a thing?) out there, the nameplate on the back of Golden Tate's jersey reads: Tate III— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) April 22, 2014
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco put together an All-Under 25 team, and Larry Warford is the youngest player on it at 22 years old.
- One of the NFL's wild card playoff games is going to be televised by ESPN this coming season.
- Awful Announcing put together a ranking of the 10 biggest misses by draft experts in NFL history. The Mike Williams one is especially bad.
30 players are set to attend the 2014 NFL Draft.
- The 2014 NFL regular-season schedule will be released at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday.
Lions notes: More tidbits from Day 1 of minicamp
Lions notes looks at the reaction to Ndamukong Suh's absence from the team's voluntary minicamp, what Stephen Tulloch had to say about Sammy Watkins and much more.
By Sean Yuille