Jason Hanson served as a consultant this week during the Detroit Lions' voluntary minicamp. Special teams coordinator John Bonamego brought him in so there was another set of eyes on John Potter and Giorgio Tavecchio, who are hoping to compete for the starting kicker job later in the year. It's possible that the Lions could throw another kicker into the mix either via the draft or by signing an undrafted free agent, and hopefully they were able to determine if that will be necessary by watching Potter and Tavecchio this week.
- According to Chris McCosky, Larry Warford, Jon Morgan and Brandon Hepburn were new additions to the sideline on Thursday, as all three players did not participate in the final day of the team's voluntary minicamp.
Ndamukong Suh, Chris Houston, Carlin Isles and Mikel Leshoure were all once again absent from practice on Thursday. Jim Caldwell later said that Leshoure wasn't at the final two days of the Lions' voluntary minicamp because of a personal issue.
- Caldwell didn't exactly sound all that confident when asked about Houston's future:
Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he's "not certain" Chris Houston will bounce back in 2014 but "I'm not certain I'm going to wake up tomorrow."— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) April 24, 2014
Golden Tate has been very impressed with Ryan Broyles' work ethic.
- George Johnson's deal with the Lions is for one year and is worth $730,000, according to Aaron Wilson. No signing bonus was handed out by the Lions, and his cap hit is only $570,000.
- In Todd McShay's mock draft of picks he would make, he has the Lions taking Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix with the 10th overall pick.
- The Lions' offensive line did a great job of pass blocking last season.
The top pass protecting O-lines statistically in 2013 show a real mix of QB influences: pic.twitter.com/keHJBs0kip— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 24, 2014
- The MMQB's Peter King went behind the scenes to get a look at how the 2014 NFL schedule was made.
Lions notes: Jason Hanson, Chris Houston, more
Lions notes looks at what Jason Hanson was doing at the team's minicamp this week, Chris Houston's uncertain future and much more.
By Sean Yuille