- As reported by Dave Birkett, Dan Orlovsky's one-year deal with the Detroit Lions is a veteran's minimum type of contract. The deal is worth a total of $920,000 and includes $125,000 in guaranteed money, but his cap hit is only $635,000 for 2014. Shaun Hill, by comparison, has a cap hit of $1.75 million for the St. Louis Rams this year.
- Orlovsky really came cheap when you consider that for the remainder of the offseason, he's not actually going to take up $635,000 in cap space.
Factoring in top 51, Orlovsky's deal will take up less than $150,000 in cap space.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) April 4, 2014
- J.B. Shugarts, who also joined the Lions this week, got a minimum deal worth $420,000, according to Justin Rogers. As noted by Rogers, Shugarts' contract isn't in the top 51 right now, so his signing didn't even affect the salary cap.
- Here's an update on jersey numbers from Tim Twentyman:
A few housekeeping things. FB Jed Collins will wear No. 45. Darryl Tapp will wear No. 52 as a LB/DE swing-type player.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) April 3, 2014
QB Dan Orlovsky will wear No. 8.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) April 3, 2014
- Aaron Wilson reports that Jason Fox, who left the Lions to join the Miami Dolphins this week, got a one-year deal worth a total of $795,000. Fox has a cap hit of $635,000 for 2014.
- Speaking of the Dolphins, they hosted former Lion Nate Burleson for a visit this week. Burleson also reportedly has a visit scheduled with the Cleveland Browns.
- The Buffalo Bills traded a sixth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for wide receiver Mike Williams. I think it's now a pretty good bet that the Bucs will use the seventh overall pick on a receiver, which isn't good news for the Lions. Detroit may not even get a shot at Mike Evans, and if they want to trade up to get Sammy Watkins, they will have some competition in Tampa.
Lions notes: Contract details out for Dan Orlovsky, J.B. Shugarts
Lions notes looks at the contracts that Dan Orlovsky and J.B. Shugarts got, an update on Nate Burleson and more.
By Sean Yuille