- The Detroit Lions had their first organized team activity on Tuesday, and Nick Fairley was among the players not taking part in it. Why? I'll let Jim Caldwell explain:
#Lions coach Jim Caldwell said Nick Fairley is dealing with "a medical issue" and "had a procedure," is not taking part in OTAs.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) May 20, 2014
- In other injury news, Joique Bell and Chris Houston were also out on Tuesday.
- How about some positive news? Ndamukong Suh apparently did a good job of staying in shape while working out on his own.
Caldwell said Ndamukong Suh was in "impeccable" shape when he arrived for OTAs. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) May 20, 2014
- Former Lions offensive lineman Mike Utley stopped by Tuesday's OTA practice.
- DeAndre Levy's beard is incredible.
Lions LBs Ashlee Palmer and DeAndre Levy. Levy said he hasn't even trimmed his beard since February. pic.twitter.com/cSALIAAvea— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) May 20, 2014
- The "only thing" Eric Ebron is worried about right now is learning the Lions' playbook.
- Jason Hanson seems impressed with Nate Freese.
- The Lions have the 13th-oldest projected starting offensive line in the NFL. This actually isn't all that bad considering Dominic Raiola is the oldest projected starting offensive lineman in the entire NFL.
- Calvin Johnson is a first-down machine.
83% of Calvin Johnson's receptions went for first downs, highest percentage in the league— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) May 19, 2014
- Sammy Watkins was expecting to be drafted by the Lions or Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Instead, the Buffalo Bills traded up and got him.
- The Chicago Bears signed wide receiver Brandon Marshall to a three-year extension worth $30 million this week.
- The NFL isn't going to expand the playoffs for the upcoming season, and the league has tabled discussions on the issue until its October meetings, which are apparently going to take place in Detroit.
- Former Lions running back Kevin Smith has signed with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
Lions notes: Nick Fairley, DeAndre Levy beard update, more
Lions notes looks at a "medical issue" Nick Fairley has been dealing with, an update on DeAndre Levy's amazing beard and much more.
By Sean Yuille