The Detroit Lions held their third practice of training camp at Wayne State on Wednesday night. 8,935 fans attended the practice, which is pretty good considering there was some nasty weather in the area just before things got started. That nasty weather cleared up, though, and it gave Jim Caldwell an opportunity to take a picture in front of a rainbow:
Coach Caldwell ready for tonight's #Lions in the D practice under a rainbow at Wayne State. pic.twitter.com/KiI6MM9KvH— Detroit Lions (@Lions) July 30, 2014
Here's more from Wednesday's practice:
- The same four players who missed practice on Tuesday -- TJ Jones, Cody Wilson, Alex Bullard and Ziggy Ansah -- also missed practice on Wednesday.
- There was a bit of a scare at one point on Wednesday when Larry Warford tweaked his right ankle, but he returned after getting some treatment on the sideline. It doesn't sound serious, thankfully.
Warford said his ankle was a little sore but nothing to keep him out— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 31, 2014
- With the Lions at Joique Bell's alma mater, it was really a homecoming of sorts for him.
Ran into @JoiqueBell hanging around his old locker at @waynestate before #LionsCamp! pic.twitter.com/ZgSE0BX4C5— Roary (@RoaryNFL) July 30, 2014
- The Lions' top group of wide receivers once again consisted of Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Kevin Ogletree.
Jeremy Ross and Corey Fuller each had a memorable catch on Wednesday night.
Jeremy Ross with a nice one-handed catch in offensive drill. Had one yesterday, too. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) July 31, 2014
Great catch by WR Corey Fuller on a go route over Cassius Vaughn down the sideline. Went right up and over him.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 31, 2014
Eric Ebron had another drop, but he followed it up with a "tough TD catch against good coverage," according to Kyle Meinke.
- I don't think we have to worry about Joseph Fauria and Tate struggling with drops.
Say what you will about Joe Fauria, but the guy has amazing hands. Just pulled in another great ball that was far from his body.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) July 31, 2014
Golden Tate puts on a show for the fans, catching a pass over the middle then running downfield and cutting back across the field. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) July 31, 2014
Corey Hilliard was the Lions' first-team right tackle on Wednesday. LaAdrian Waddle, meanwhile, got reps as the No. 2 left tackle.
Steven Miller scored a touchdown on Wednesday.
- The Lions aren't going to practice in full pads until later in the week, but that didn't stop a couple defenders from getting a little physical on Wednesday night.
James Ihedigbo just knocked Reggie Bush to the ground. Practice is in shorts, but starting to get physical— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) July 31, 2014
It's not full pads but they are wearing shoulder pads. Levy just reminded Leshoure of that after he caught a pass. Gave him a little pop.— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) July 31, 2014
- The Lions' kicker situation is not exactly looking too promising right now. Nate Freese's first attempt on Wednesday -- a 30-yard kick -- was blocked by Ndamukong Suh, and he later sent a 46-yard attempt wide right to close out practice. In between, Freese made field goals from 43 and 48 yards, as did Giorgio Tavecchio, but the misses are really starting to pile up.
- At least somebody on special teams is having a good training camp so far:
Sam Martin is ready to go. Starts things off with a 70-yard boot.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) July 30, 2014