Pride Of Detroit is gearing up for its ninth season of covering the Detroit Lions. Training camp is already underway, and the preseason will be here quite soon. As a result, it's time to start finalizing plans for how we will cover the Lions in 2014, and part of that involves searching for new writers. I'm always looking to add more voices to the front page to bolster our coverage of the Lions, and now is your chance to apply to be a front-page contributor. Here are the details:
What I am looking for in candidates
- Extensive knowledge of the Lions, the NFL and football in general
- Strong writing skills (excellent grammar and spelling are a must)
- Ability to commit to at least 2-3 posts per week during the season
- Previous writing experience desired
What I am looking for in new content
I have the news aspect covered, but there is a definite need for more analysis, and that is what I want new writers to primarily bring to the table. That could mean simply writing columns about topics relating to the Lions, breaking down game film or even something like explaining the game of football by highlighting different schemes, coverages and so on. Essentially, I want to beef up our non-news content.
How to apply
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and respond to the following questions:
1. How much writing experience do you have, and have you written about the Lions before? Please provide examples of your work. If you don't have any past examples, create something new as a sample of your writing.
2. What kind of posts would you want to write for Pride Of Detroit? Please be specific, especially if you have ideas for weekly series or recurring features in mind.
3. How extensive is your knowledge of the Lions, the NFL and football in general?
4. Why do you want to join Pride Of Detroit as a front-page writer?
As of right now, these are unpaid positions. That could always change down the road, though, and if you're looking for experience and exposure, we can provide both of those things. Pride Of Detroit has drawn more than 40 million page views since launching in 2006, and contributing to the site could serve as an excellent starting point if you're looking to further your writing career.
The deadline to apply is Thursday, Aug. 7. I will likely wait until then to go through the applications, so don't fret if you don't hear back from me immediately.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or leave a comment on this post.