- The Detroit Lions had four players sidelined during Thursday's practice: TJ Jones (PUP list), Michael Williams, Alex Bullard and Ziggy Ansah (PUP list). Williams' injury is new, but Jim Caldwell said that it's not a long-term thing. It's worth noting that Jim Schwartz said the exact same thing a year ago before Williams ended up on injured reserve with a hand injury, so the head coach's assessment doesn't necessarily mean much when it comes to injuries.
- Williams, by the way, has been busy putting on weight as part of his switch from tight end to offensive tackle.
Michael Williams is up to 295 pounds as he moves from TE to OL. That's 15 pounds heavier than he was in OTAs.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) July 31, 2014
Michael Williams, on his diet to gain weight: "We were in Alabama (over the break), Whatever you kill, that's what you eat."— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) July 31, 2014
- Larry Warford practiced on Thursday after suffering an ankle injury on Wednesday night.
- The Lions continued with their usual rotation at right tackle by giving LaAdrian Waddle the No. 1 reps on Thursday. It doesn't sound like he had a great practice, though.
LaAdrian Waddle getting blown up by rookie DE Larry Webster during one-on-ones. Got beat on one play, then had to hold on the next.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) July 31, 2014
Good showing in 1 on 1 pass rush by George Johnson. Waddle struggled in his reps at RT. Reiff was good at LT. No reps for Suh, Sims, Raiola— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) July 31, 2014
- Rookie Travis Swanson got work as the first-team left guard when Rob Sims got a break.
- Another rookie, Kyle Van Noy, practiced with the first-team defense on Thursday.
- This is interesting:
Lions using Devin Taylor and Darryl Tapp at and Jason Jones at DT in a third down period with the No 1 defense today— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) July 31, 2014
- According to Dave Birkett, Cassius Vaughn got some No. 1 reps at cornerback on Wednesday night.
- There wasn't any talk about drops for Eric Ebron on Thursday, but Kris Durham wasn't so lucky.
Kris Durham with a bad drop after burning Bill Bentley. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) July 31, 2014
- DeJon Gomes intercepted James Franklin on Thursday.
- Former Lions defensive end Jared DeVries attended Thursday's practice. He is apparently a farmer now.
#Lions alum Jared DeVries at practice today. He's now a farmer and volunteer HS coach in Iowa. Has 1200 acres and 5 grocery stores— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) July 31, 2014
News and notes from the fourth day of Detroit Lions training camp.