- This was a classy move by the Oakland Raiders:
Raiders with a moment of silence for William Clay Ford. Nice touch.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 16, 2014
- The Detroit Lions sent out Dominic Raiola, Ndamukong Suh and Don Muhlbach as their captains on Friday night.
- Here's a look at the Lions' starters from Friday's game:
#Lions starting lineup from tonight. pic.twitter.com/VHMYdDtgGG— Pride Of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) August 16, 2014
- After the game, Jim Caldwell explained that Mosley started at defensive tackle because he has simply been playing better than Nick Fairley.
- When Rob Sims and Raiola departed Friday's game, they were replaced by Travis Swanson (left guard) and Darren Keyton (center). Later in the game, Michael Williams stepped in at left tackle and Rodney Austin took over at right guard.
- The Lions' second-team safeties were Isa Abdul-Quddus and Jerome Couplin. This meant that Don Carey and DeJon Gomes were stuck with the third-stringers.
- Gomes suffered a neck injury on a helmet-to-helmet type of hit with a Raiders player late in the fourth quarter. The hit forced a fumble that was recovered by the Lions, but it knocked Gomes out of the game.
Nate Freese opened Friday's game by booting the ball through the uprights on the opening kickoff. He then followed that up with a missed extra point (from 33 yards out) before later hitting a field goal from 55 yards out. Talk about an odd game.
George Winn only had nine yards on eight carries, but he made two tackles on special teams. What's more, the Lions actually had him out there with the first-team kickoff coverage unit. This is a sign that he could be making a move for the final roster spot at running back, which would be bad news for Mikel Leshoure.
- The Lions have a lot of talent on their defensive line.
By my count the Lions played 8 DL on that first drive. Serious depth up front— Jeff Risdon (@JeffRisdon) August 16, 2014
- The Lions also have a lot of talent in the passing game.
Ball distribution: on Lions second TD drive, 5 receivers had at least one catch.— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) August 16, 2014
- You're next, Blake Bortles.
Two straight weeks Lions rookie DE Larry Webster has put big hit on rookie QB. Johnny Manziel last week, Derek Carr this week.— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) August 16, 2014
- The Lions/Raiders game will be replayed on NFL Network at 9 a.m. on Sunday and 10 a.m. on Thursday.
- And last but not least...
Nice hat, Dom. pic.twitter.com/wWiZQyCiCx— Pride Of Detroit (@PrideOfDetroit) August 16, 2014
Lions notes: More on Friday's game against Raiders
Lions notes looks at various tidbits from Friday's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.
By Sean Yuille