- Quick programming note: Training camp has essentially come to an end for the Detroit Lions. They have switched to a regular season type of practice schedule, and practices are no longer completely open to the media.
- On Monday, only TJ Jones and DeJon Gomes missed practice for the Lions. Jones remains on the PUP list, while Gomes was out after hurting his neck against the Oakland Raiders last Friday.
- Linebacker Justin Jackson was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Vikings after being let go by the Lions on Saturday.
- This pretty much sums up today's NFL:
Lions CB Rashean Mathis on NFL's emphasis on def. holding: "Does it favor the defense? No. But does anything ever favor the defense? No."— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 18, 2014
Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles is going to get some first-team reps on Friday against the Lions.
- Dave Birkett broke down all of Nick Fairley's snaps from last week's game against the Raiders.
Kris Durham and Joseph Fauria both took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge last week, as did Eric Ebron.
- Some Lions players met Drake, who was in the area for a concert, on Saturday.
Brandon Pettigrew made Sports Illustrated's "All-Overrated Offense," and Nick Fairley made the defensive version of the list.
- On SI's "All-Underrated Defense," DeAndre Levy made the list.
- MLive's profile of Giorgio Tavecchio is worth a read.
- Speaking of kickers, John Potter, who was released by the Lions in May after they drafted Nate Freese, signed with the Miami Dolphins last week.
- The Chicago Bears signed wide receiver Santonio Holmes over the weekend.
Lions notes looks at DeJon Gomes, Justin Jackson and much more.