- In case you missed this on Tuesday, the plan for Friday's game is to rotate Nate Freese and Giorgio Tavecchio instead of giving each player a specific half. The thinking here is that this will give Tavecchio a chance to get on the field earlier in the game instead of waiting around for potential opportunities in the second half.
- The Detroit Lions' kickers recently weighed in on the NFL's experiment of having longer extra points.
- The Lions are planning to have Sam Martin serve as the kickoff specialist for part of Friday's game. They have been letting the kickers handle that so far in the preseason in order to not overload Martin's reps, but he is expected to maintain that role in the regular season, and he will get a chance to kick off in the Lions' "dress rehearsal" on Friday.
DeJon Gomes once again missed practice on Tuesday, but his neck injury isn't believed to be a long-term thing.
- According to MLive, George Winn has been nicknamed "Hammerhead" and "Dump Truck" by his Lions teammates.
- MLive took an extensive look at what training camp was like for players away from the field.
- Bucky Brooks has Matthew Stafford fifth on his list of the "next generation elite QBs."
Dominic Raiola, who knows a thing or two about flipping the bird on a football field, had this to say about Johnny Manziel's Monday Night Football middle finger:
"Enjoy that FedEx package, it ain't pretty.....You can't do it. I don't even respond to the crowd anymore" Dominic Raiola on Johnny Manziel— Jennifer Hammond (@HammerFox2) August 19, 2014
Lions notes looks at the plan for the kicker rotation this week, an update on DeJon Gomes and much more.