- Here's the latest update on Kyle Van Noy, who is concerned that he may have a sports hernia:
Kyle Van Noy will see a specialist for his injury, no decision on surgery yet— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 25, 2014
- Van Noy, Reggie Bush and Don Carey did not practice on Monday, according to Dave Birkett, but Montell Owens returned to practice after leaving last week's game with a head injury, so that's good news.
- Also per Birkett, Tahir Whitehead took the Detroit Lions' first-team reps at strongside linebacker over Ashlee Palmer on Monday. It's probably a safe bet that Whitehead will be the starter there while Van Noy is out after the strong performance he had against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- With the Lions releasing Giorgio Tavecchio on Monday, Nate Freese is officially their starting kicker.
Caldwell said #Lions aren't looking at vets, so Freese presumably has the job.— Rod Beard (@detnewsRodBeard) August 25, 2014
- FYI: Emil Igwenagu's name is pronounced "eh-MEAL ig-wen-AH-goo." (He was claimed off waivers by the Lions on Monday.)
- Lions president Tom Lewand took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge on Monday.
- With Sam Bradford out for the season, it looks like former Lions backup Shaun Hill is going to be the St. Louis Rams' starting quarterback going forward.
- Former Lions offensive lineman Dylan Gandy was released by the Chicago Bears over the weekend.
- The Minnesota Vikings have named Matt Cassel their starting quarterback.
- SB Nation's Sarah Kogod took a look at how the Madden video game series "turns players into pixels."
Lions notes: Kyle Van Noy, Nate Freese, more
Lions notes looks at Kyle Van Noy, Nate Freese and much more.
By Sean Yuille