- The Detroit Lions practiced in full pads on Monday, and there were several notable people in attendance, including team owner Martha Ford and five former players.
#Lions Jim Caldwell with alumni Doug English, Dre Bly, Lomas Brown. Luther Elliss, Herman Moore. pic.twitter.com/7UYnKaYpPg— Paula Pasche (@paulapasche) August 4, 2014
Calvin Johnson and Kyle Van Noy both practiced on Monday after sitting out Saturday's scrimmage.
- Speaking of Van Noy, he was part of a 4-4 defensive front that the Lions showed on Monday. Per Dave Birkett, it included Van Noy, Ashlee Palmer, DeAndre Levy and Stephen Tulloch at linebacker, and Josh Katzenstein reports that the look featured only one cornerback.
- Well done, unknown Lions coach.
Lions DB breaks up a pass, a coach says, "good play, but make it a great play by turning your head."— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) August 4, 2014
- After Darius Slay left practice on Monday, the Lions gave first-team reps at cornerback to both Cassius Vaughn and Bill Bentley. Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood, meanwhile, served as the second-team corners.
Kyle Meinke reports that Kris Durham and Bentley were involved in "some post-play shoving" at one point, but after practice, Durham chalked it up as something that just happens during camp.
- I think it's safe to say the biggest hit of the day was delivered by running back George Winn.
RB George Winn just steam-rolled right over rookie safety Jerome Couplin. RIP.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) August 4, 2014
RB George Winn just trucked the hell out of S Jerome Couplin. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 4, 2014
George Winn, who ran hard in last week's scrimmage, just trucked Jerome Couplin drawing "Ooohs" from the sideline— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 4, 2014
- Last but not least, happy birthday to Joique Bell, who turned 28 on Monday, and a belated happy birthday to Golden Tate, who turned 26 on Saturday.
RB @JoiqueBell with a birthday cake that he'll share with @ShowtimeTate, whose birthday was Saturday. pic.twitter.com/YMEYYnSNzG— Detroit Lions (@Lions) August 4, 2014
Lions training camp: Notes from Monday
News and notes from Monday's Detroit Lions training camp practice.
By Sean Yuille