- Quite a few members of the media are in town for Saturday night's preseason opener, but not to see the Detroit Lions. They're here for Johnny Manziel.
The Lions tell me Ford Field's press box is completely full for Manziel's PRESEASON debut Saturday. And that place hosted a Super Bowl.— Bart Hubbuch (@HubbuchNYP) August 7, 2014
- We won't get a look at Manziel until the Cleveland Browns' starters exit the game on Saturday night. Even though he's not starting, there was some thought that he could get work with Cleveland's No. 1 offense, but that's not going to happen. Instead, it looks like Manziel will strictly go up against the Lions' backups.
- Keep this in mind if you're headed to Ford Field:
- After waiving him with the injured designation, the Lions released wide receiver Cody Wilson from IR with an injury settlement.
- Wide receiver Jon Baldwin cleared waivers after the Lions let him go following a failed physical, meaning he is now a free agent.
- Grantland recently took an in-depth look at Matthew Stafford.
- This headline is music to my ears: "Detroit Lions' new coaching staff won't tolerate defensive line jumping early."
- Calvin Johnson (sixth), Reggie Bush (41st) and James Ihedigbo (49th) all made Sports Illustrated's list of the fittest male athletes in sports.
- As you may have heard by now, former Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell is going to be on NBC's The Biggest Loser, as is former Lions offensive lineman Damien Woody. Our own Jeremy Reisman pretty much summed up this news story:
- Former Lions defensive end Israel Idonije signed with the New York Giants this week.
- FOX's NFL broadcast teams for 2014 have been revealed.
Lions notes looks at Johnny Manziel, some roster news and much more.