- The Detroit Lions officially parted ways with DeJon Gomes last week by releasing him from injured reserve with an injury settlement.
- Mikel Leshoure is currently a free agent after being released on Saturday, and he actually has a tattoo of the Lions' logo on his left arm. This could be somewhat awkward should he get an opportunity with another team, but Leshoure doesn't regret getting the tattoo.
@PrideOfDetroit Asked him about it, said he'd never regret it because the Lions were the team that drafted him and that wouldn't change.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) August 30, 2014
- ESPN wrapped up its countdown of the top 100 offensive and defensive players in the NFL last week. For the offense, Calvin Johnson came in at No. 1, and Ndamukong Suh ranked ninth for the defense.
- In case you missed this last week, Suh was not fined for his hit on Chad Henne in the Lions' preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Also, Jerome Couplin was not fined for an unnecessary roughness penalty he had in that game.
- The Lions are ranked 21st in average age this year, which is up from dead last in the NFL a year ago.
- When it comes to travel for the 2014 season, the Lions are right in the middle of the pack.
- Former Lions wide receiver Nate Burleson was released by the Cleveland Browns during the final round of cuts.
- Another former Lion, defensive end Israel Idonije, was released by the New York Giants on Saturday.
- Former Lions tight end Jacob Maxwell, who was released by the team during the first round of cuts last week, has signed with the Miami Dolphins as a member of their practice squad.
- How desperate were the Buffalo Bills for quarterback help after their dismal performance against the Lions last week? They signed Kyle Orton to a deal that is worth $5 million this year. That seems like an awful lot of money for a player of his caliber.
- How much do players on the practice squad earn over the course of a season? Here are the numbers for 2014:
Practice squad members make $6,300 per week this season under CBA, or $107,100 for 17 weeks. Rookie minimum for 53-man roster is $420,000.— MarkMaske (@MarkMaske) August 30, 2014
Lions notes looks at various pieces of news from the final round of cuts, average age rankings for the 2014 season and much more.