- Congratulations to DeAndre Levy, who was named the NFC Defensive Player of Week 1. Levy recorded 10 tackles, two tackles for loss and an interception against the New York Giants, and he's the first Detroit Lions linebacker to earn this honor in quite some time.
Corey Hilliard deserves some serious props for what he did on Monday.
Stafford said Hilliard hurt his foot in the 3rd quarter and played the rest of the way. Called it "inspiring"— Tim Twentyman (@ttwentyman) September 10, 2014
- Had Hilliard not been able to continue on Monday, the Lions were apparently going to move Brandon Pettigrew from tight end to right tackle. Cornelius Lucas was inactive and LaAdrian Waddle was already out with an injury, so the Lions were lucky that Hilliard managed to gut it out.
- It would be pretty interesting if Lucas' first career start ends up coming against the Carolina Panthers.
The Panthers were one of the teams that tried to sign Lucas as a UDFA.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) September 10, 2014
- The Lions picked a bad week to have injury issues on their offensive line.
Matthew Stafford said the Panthers' front seven is the best the Lions will face all year and may be the best in the NFL— Jonathan Jones (@jjones9) September 10, 2014
- After he showed off his running ability a bit against the Giants, there has been some talk that Matthew Stafford is in much better shape this season. Is that really the case? It doesn't exactly sound like it:
Stafford said he's lost about 3 pounds, so reports of him being much slimmer are overblown.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) September 10, 2014
Calvin Johnson thought about dunking the ball through the goal posts after his first touchdown on Monday, but he resisted the temptation in order to avoid a penalty and a fine.
- Former Lions linebacker Brandon Hepburn has joined the Philadelphia Eagles' practice squad.
- The NFL released a bunch of interesting facts about each team's Week 1 roster.
Lions notes: DeAndre Levy named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
Lions notes looks at DeAndre Levy, Corey Hilliard and much more.
By Sean Yuille