- Duke offensive guard Laken Tomlinson sounds like he would be an excellent addition to the Detroit Lions.
Tomlinson said he heard comparisons to Warford and decided to study him. Tomlinson very impressed with Warford's footwork.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 18, 2015
Laken Tomlinson, if football doesn't work out, is interested in pursing a career in neurology.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 18, 2015
- Remember how Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon took a picture wearing a Lions hat back in December? We probably shouldn't read anything into that.
Asked Melvin Gordon about this photo. He said he just liked the hat and isn't a fan of any particular NFL team. pic.twitter.com/QNBJQKiGXP— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) February 19, 2015
- At the NFL Combine, Martin Mayhew had a chance to pitch his idea for how the Pro Bowl selection process should be changed for linebackers, and he also proposed his idea for allowing coaches to challenge penalties whenever an official throws a flag. It doesn't sound like the latter proposal has a ton of traction at this point, though.
Mayhew said about 40% of league supports proposal to expand replay to all plays in which a flag is thrown— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) February 20, 2015
- This about sums it up for the Lions:
Mayhew: "They always change the rule the next year with us."— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 20, 2015
- Let's hope Mayhew's expectations turn out to be correct:
Mayhew said new offense had Stafford throwing routes he had not thrown before. Expects big jump in year two.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 20, 2015
- Mayhew has no plans to alter his best player available strategy in the NFL Draft.
Lions will not detour from BPA strategy in the draft, regardless of the team's situation at DT.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) February 20, 2015
- The Chicago Bears' transition to a 3-4 defense should be pretty interesting to watch.
- Speaking of 3-4 defenses, Jim Caldwell had very little to say when asked about the possibility of the Lions switching to a 3-4 if they lose Ndamukong Suh. I guess it's worth noting that he didn't rule out that possibility, but he didn't exactly sound all that excited about the idea, either.
Caldwell was surprised that Teryl Austin didn't land a head coaching job this year, and he thinks that Austin will indeed get one "within the next couple years."
- Caldwell landed 19th in Rotoworld's head coach rankings. Since Rotoworld divided the rankings into two sections -- one for returning head coaches and one for new hires -- that's 19th out of 25.
Lions notes: Laken Tomlinson, Melvin Gordon, more
Lions notes looks at Duke offensive guard Laken Tomlinson, Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon and much more.
By Sean Yuille