- The negotiating period for this year's class of free agents doesn't begin until Saturday, but there are already a lot of rumors swirling about Ndamukong Suh's future. Most rumors are of the "Team X is interested in Suh" variety, but some are a bit more advanced. For example:
Word on the street regarding Suh is that when Steve Ross is involved you better be prepared to big high. Teams think Suh to Miami is done.— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) March 4, 2015
It remains to be seen if these reports will turn out to be true, but right now the Miami Dolphins look like the biggest threat to the Lions' effort to re-sign Suh.
- One potentially notable factor working in Miami's favor is that there is no state income tax in Florida. As Joel Corry explained in great detail, even if the numbers are the same on paper, Suh could get a bigger payday by signing with a team like the Dolphins thanks to their location.
- With the chances of Suh departing seemingly going up, the Lions may be preparing their backup plan by getting talks with Nick Fairley rolling.
Lions focused on trying to keep their own. Haven't given up on Suh - will be tough though - and very productive talks w/ Fairley this week— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) March 5, 2015
- One final Suh note for now... This seems like a pretty big waste of resources:
- Here's the latest on free-agent defensive tackle Kendall Langford, who visited the Lions on Monday:
- Earlier this week, the Lions hired Steven Williams to be a defensive quality control coach. Williams, who went to Harvard, was most recently a graduate assistant at Penn State. (Matt Raich, who joined the Detroit coaching staff as a defensive quality control coach last year, is apparently going to continue serving in that role, meaning the Lions have a pair of defensive quality control coaches for the time being.)
- Rugby player Carlin Isles, who spent some time with the Lions last year, is apparently thinking about a potential return to the NFL at some point in the future.
- As the Lions look to bolster their depth at running back, this could be a name to keep an eye on given offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi's connection to the New Orleans Saints:
More #Saints news: They’ve informed veteran RB Pierre Thomas that they are releasing him, source says.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 4, 2015
- Speaking of names to keep an eye on:
Keep an eye on Lions with Williams RT @mikejurecki: Paul Fanaika & Dan Williams both will explore free agency, could command 3M+ per year.— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 4, 2015
- The Buffalo Bills have had a busy couple of days:
Filed to ESPN: Bills have notified LB Kiko Alonso he is going to be traded to Philadelphia for RB LeSean McCoy. Trade official next week.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 3, 2015
- Finally, a job well done to our Jeremy Reisman, who very accurately predicted Golden Tate's 2014 stat line way back in last March.
Lions notes: Examining the latest Ndamukong Suh rumors
Lions notes looks at the latest Ndamukong Suh rumors, an update on Nick Fairley and much more.
By Sean Yuille