After adding offensive guard Laken Tomlinson in the first round on Thursday night, the Detroit Lions are expected to turn their focus to running back, defensive tackle and cornerback on Day 2 of the 2015 NFL Draft. Those are their three biggest remaining needs, and there are a lot of attractive options still left at all three positions.
Based on a small sample of Round 2 mock drafts, it seems like most people are expecting the Lions to go with a running back or defensive tackle in the second round:
- SB Nation: DT Jordan Phillips (Oklahoma)
- ESPN: DT Carl Davis (Iowa)
- CBS Sports: RB Tevin Coleman (Indiana)
- Draft Tek: RB Tevin Coleman (Indiana)
- Bleacher Report: DT Michael Bennett (Ohio State)
- CSN Washington: DT Michael Bennett (Ohio State)
- USA Today: CB Ronald Darby (Florida State)
As you can see, there is a lot of love for Tevin Coleman and various defensive tackles. That makes a lot of sense, as the Lions could take a player like Coleman to improve their running game, or they could take the top defensive tackle on the board to bolster their depth at that position. A cornerback would also make a lot of sense, and I could even see the Lions taking a wide receiver or offensive tackle if one of the top players left at those positions falls to the 54th overall pick.
What do you want the Lions to do in the second round of the draft?