Caldwell made the situation quite clear in regards to Calvin Johnson and the Lions preseason game on Friday against the Jacksonville Jaguars: "I'm not quite certain you're going to see him at all." That's probably good news for Lions fans given the general arc of this preseason and certain accusations made against the Jaguars.
- Also not expected to play Friday are Jason Jones and LaAdrian Waddle.
- The question of playing other starters against Jacksonville is up for consideration. Caldwell told the press they should expect to see some starters in the second half of the preseason game, but did not name any specific players.
- Jim Caldwell isn't a fan of Hard Knocks. He wouldn't watch it even if the Lions were in it, and it's hard to see him agreeing to put his squad on the show.
- Caldwell believes LaAdrian Waddle is making really good progress to return. However, he was quick to remind everyone that there were no guarantees that Waddle would be ready by Week 1 of the NFL regular season.
- Corey Robinson getting time on the offensive line might be a possibility, given Waddle's schedule to work his way back to the field, along with the recent trade between the Lions and the Patriots that sent Michael Williams to New England. Jim Caldwell praised Corey Robinson, explaining: "Huge upside. So (he) just (needs) time, experience. But we like what we see." Caldwell hopes that Robinson will be ready when the time comes, he said.
- The second opinion on Kyle Van Noy's injury came back, and Caldwell stated that there is no need for surgery. For now, the outside linebacker is week-to-week.
- The picture is still murky for the final few wide receiver spots. Jim Caldwell stated that he needed to see "guys separate from the pack." No receiver has really stood out yet in practice and made a name for himself just yet.
- This wasn't from the press conference, but as a final note, the Lions have signed center Joe Madsen. Madsen played at West Virginia in college. He has seen time in the Arena Football League and the Green Bay Packers practice squad during the playoffs.
Late morning press conference includes updates on Kyle Van Noy, LaAdrian Waddle and Corey Robinson's future