Saturday was a slow news day for the Detroit Lions, so let's take a look around the NFL for some interesting stories:
- I wonder how Reggie Bush is doing with his new team, the San Francisco 49ers:
The old Reggie Bush ain't what he used to be. pic.twitter.com/GE3FOfYrKW— SB Nation GIF (@SBNationGIF) August 30, 2015
- The Packers and the preseason just do not mix:
Recapping first half, Cobb (shoulder), Bulaga (ankle), Hyde (unknown) left with injuries. #Packers down 32-7 playing (mostly) their No. 1 D.— Jason Wilde (@jasonjwilde) August 30, 2015
- The Buffalo Bills are in the middle of a three-way quarterback race. Unfortunately, the Lions will see none of them. Rex Ryan announced the starter for the Bills' final preseason game against the Lions is fourth-stringer Matt Simms. He will likely play the entire game.
- Julio Jones got a HUGE contract extension on Saturday (five years, $71.25 million), making him the second highest-paid receiver in the league (behind Calvin Johnson, of course). The Atlanta Falcons caught a neat moment of owner Arthur Blank congratulating Jones on the sideline shortly after the deal was stuck:
That moment when Arthur Blank gives you the big news #RiseUp pic.twitter.com/07Ay4GvnyT— Atlanta Falcons (@AtlantaFalcons) August 29, 2015
- Philip Rivers left the Chargers' third preseason game early Saturday after an apparent injury to his throwing hand. The injury is not considered serious, and he would have likely stayed in the game if it were a regular season game. The Lions will head to San Diego in Week 1 to kick off the season.