- The Detroit Lions opened training camp with an afternoon practice on Monday, and team owner Martha Ford was in attendance.
- Five players were sidelined from Monday's practice.
Stephen Tulloch, who is coming back from a torn ACL, was not on the list of injured players:
By the way, Stephen Tulloch looked totally healthy -- and fast -- today. Good sign for the Lions.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 3, 2015
Calvin Johnson was doing Calvin Johnson things during practice on Monday when matched up against Darius Slay, and Eric Ebron showed off his abilities with an impressive display as well.
- Johnson was equally impressive off the field:
First day of camp, and Calvin Johnson stuck around to sign everyone who asked for an autograph. Took like 35 minutes. Good guy, that one.— Kyle Meinke (@kmeinke) August 3, 2015
- It appears Ebron is taking the approach of letting his play do the talking for him.
After a stellar practice, Ebron tells reporters, "I ain't got nothing for ya."— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) August 3, 2015
Jeremy Ross is apparently still among the top group of wide receivers (for now, anyway).
In individual drills, Stafford throwing to CJ, Tate, Fuller and Ross. That's the WR depth chart until someone else impresses. #Lions— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 3, 2015
- It sounds like Matthew Stafford and Ameer Abdullah had a pretty good first day of camp.
Stafford 4 of 5 in first 11-on-11 session. Slay had a PD. Crowd roared on screen to Abdullah.— Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) August 3, 2015
No pads till Wednesday but Abdullah showed speed on a good run. Fans liked it. OL probably, too.— Mike O'Hara (@MikeOHaraNFL) August 3, 2015
- Per MLive, Manny Ramirez was the first-team left guard, continuing the trend of the veteran getting reps with the No. 1 offense over first-round pick Laken Tomlinson. I'm sure that will change as camp progresses, though.
- Also per MLive, Dan Orlovsky opened training camp as the Lions' backup quarterback.
- Dave Birkett reports that Lions defensive line coach Jim Washburn is once again "away from the team dealing with health issues." Washburn previously missed quite a bit of the offseason after having knee-replacement surgery.
Lions training camp: Notes from Day 1
In this edition of Detroit Lions training camp notes: Stephen Tulloch, Calvin Johnson, Eric Ebron, Ameer Abdullah, Manny Ramirez and much more.
By Sean Yuille