- Because it's the middle of the week, and nobody wants to talk about the Chargers game anymore, a big headline from Wednesday was what Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen said to the media:
- Normally, I don't think a "controversy" like this ever leads to any real beef between teams. Griffen is just clearly fed up with his team's performance in Week 1 and is trying to motivate his team to win. But Joique Bell made it pretty clear on twitter, he isn't taking Griffen's words lightly:
#ChargedUp pic.twitter.com/KKDj860nme— Joique Bell (@JoiqueBell) September 17, 2015
- The Lions added offensive tackle Jordan Mills to their practice squad. Mills was a former fifth-round pick in 2013 and has been very busy over the past two weeks. He was waived by the Bears on Sept. 6, claimed by the Cowboys the next day, then released from Dallas on Sept. 14. Mills started 29 games for the Bears, but was inactive Week 1 for the Cowboys. To make room for Mills, the Lions will reportedly release Saalim Hakim.
- Ryan Broyles may not have found a new NFL team yet, but he has found a new way to put himself in the limelight: as a financial adviser:
.@RyanBroyles a guest on @FoxBusiness because he is such a rare breed in professional sports. http://t.co/SWLKt1s7Mn pic.twitter.com/TD7Z5aAHvm— Chrissie Wywrot (@Chrissie5213) September 16, 2015
- James Ihedigbo was not fined for his unnecessary roughness penalty on Sunday.
- The Lions tried out a couple tight ends and a few offensive tackles on Wednesday. None were signed as of Wednesday night, but this could be a sign that the Detroit is looking for a backup plan if Brandon Pettigrew is not ready to go on Sunday. Pettigrew did not practice on Wednesday.
"We're going to beat Detroit. I'm very angry right now, as you can see, because we prepared way too hard to lose (on Monday). But we're going to go out there and get 'em."
This is exactly the kind of quote that tends to get way too much attention, and Griffen's words were no exception. Suddenly Griffen was "guaranteeing" a victory, even though he never used those words.