In lieu of the news that the Detroit Lions will be overhauling the strength and conditioning department, let's take a look back at the 2015 season and the injuries suffered. To be clear, this injury list is in no way a testament to the job the strength and conditioning employee performed last year. This list simply provides a list of who was hurt, what was injured, and how long recovery took.
(Note: P = probable, Q = questionable, D = doubtful and O = out.)
|QB||Matthew Stafford||3||3||Quad (1), ribs (1), upper arm (1)|
|RB||Zach Zenner||10||10||Ribs/lungs (10)|
|Joique Bell||3||1||2||6||Ankle (5), shoulder (1)|
|Theo Riddick||1||1||2||Groin (2)|
|Ameer Abdullah||1||1||Shoulder (1)|
|WR||Calvin Johnson||2||7||9||Ankle (9)|
|Golden Tate||4||4||Calf (1), ankle (1), hip (1), quad (1)|
|Lance Moore||2||1||1||4||Ankle (4)|
|TE||Brandon Pettigrew||2||4||3||9||Knee (4) elbow (1), hamstring (4)|
|Eric Ebron||3||1||2||6||Knee (3), ankle (1), quad/hand (1), illness (1)|
|OT||Michael Ola||4||4||Knee (4)|
|LaAdrian Waddle||2||2||4||Knee (2), elbow (2)|
|Corey Robinson||1||1||2||Ankle (2)|
|Cornelius Lucas||1||1||Ankle (1)|
|C||Darren Keyton||16||16||Knee (16)|
|Travis Swanson||2||1||3||Ankle (2), shoulder (1)|
|OG||Larry Warford||3||4||1||8||Ankle (6), quad (1), concussion (1)|
|DE||Corey Wootton||16||16||Pectoral (16)|
|Ziggy Ansah||3||2||5||Back (1), groin (1), shoulder (1), toe (1), hamstring/elbow (1)|
|Jason Jones||3||1||4||Neck (2), knee (2)|
|Darryl Tapp||1||1||Ankle (1)|
|DT||Haloti Ngata||1||4||2||7||Calf (3), neck (2), shoulder (1), foot (1)|
|Caraun Reid||5||1||6||Ankle (6)|
|Gabe Wright||1||1||1||3||Ankle (3)|
|Tyrunn Walker||12||12||Leg (12)|
|LB||DeAndre Levy||1||3||4||8||16||Hip (16)|
|Tahir Whitehead||2||2||Shoulder (1), elbow (1)|
|Josh Bynes||1||2||3||Thumb (1), foot (1), hip (1)|
|Travis Lewis||2||1||3||Ankle (2), groin (1)|
|Stephen Tulloch||1||1||Illness (1)|
|CB||Alex Carter||16||16||Ankle (16)|
|Darius Slay||4||1||5||Neck (1), head (1), hip (1), quad (1), ankle (1)|
|Rashean Mathis||2||1||8||11||Concussion (9), "illness" (1), calf (1)|
|Josh Wilson||1||2||7||10||Knee (7), neck (1), concussion (1), lower leg (1)|
|Nevin Lawson||2||2||Shoulder (1), concussion (1)|
|Bill Bentley||1||1||Illness (1)|
|Crezdon Butler||1||1||Teeth (1)|
|S||Glover Quin||2||4||6||Ankle (4), concussion (1), lower leg (1)|
|James Ihedigbo||4||2||6||Quad (3), knee (1), hamstring (1), shoulder (1)|
|Don Carey||1||2||3||Back (2), foot (1)|
|Isa Abdul-Quddus||2||2||Shoulder (1), foot (1)|
|K||Matt Prater||1||1||Illness (1)|
|P||Sam Martin||4||4||Knee (3), back (1)|
Here are some notes on the finding:
- 11 players finished the season in the injured reserve list. Four of those players spent the entire 2015 season on the list.
- Taking out players that landed on the IR list, Calvin Johnson was the most often player to appear on the injury report. Johnson was listed with an ankle injury for the final nine weeks of the season. Interestingly enough, Johnson also received this same distinction last year, landing on the report 14 weeks out of the 2014 season (nine because of an ankle injury).
- Larry Warford (eight) and Haloti Ngata (seven) were the second and third-most injured players on the team that didn't land on the IR list. Both Warford and Ngata suffered from a variety of injuries, but they both managed to play through them. Warford was active for 13 games, while Ngata played in 14.
- For the second year in a row, the Lions' cornerback position was decimated with injuries. After appearing on the injury report 39 times last year (second-most behind linebackers), cornerbacks landed on the report a whopping 46 times in 2015. The second-most injured position was surprisingly tight end (31), followed by defensive tackle (28).
- The Lions had 18 players never appear on the injury report: Quandre Diggs, Devin Taylor, Jermelle Cudjo, Khyri Thornton, C.J. Wilson, Michael Burton, Manny Ramirez, Kyle Van Noy, Don Muhlbach, Laken Tomlinson, Dan Orlovsky, George Winn, Isaiah Johnson, Riley Reiff, Tim Wright, Bear Pascoe, Corey Fuller, and TJ Jones.
- No fullbacks or long snappers appeared on the injury report all season.
- The most common injury on the report was ankle-related (64) followed closely by knee injuries (58). Including Rashean Mathis' mysterious "illness", concussions were responsible for 14 occurrences on the injury report. Teeth (1) was the least common injury listed on the report.
- Defensive players appeared on the report 142 times while the offense appeared 108 times.