With many players and NFL personalities engrossed in the Pro Bowl on Sunday, the sudden news that Calvin Johnson has been planning to retire from football came down with a shock and a jolt and a sound of fury. Social media ignited, and a few players of past and present chimed in to talk about the report.
Many are treating the report, which does not confirm that Johnson is retiring (merely that he has been planning for it since before the season began), as gospel. Take that in mind as you read through a few reactions.
- We start with Eric Ebron.
- Neither Ryan Broyles nor Barry Sanders made comment about the news, but both retweeted @SportsCenter's tweet regarding the report.
- Jerel Worthy was with the Lions for only a few minutes when all was said and done, but he chimed in on the report:
Sad to see Megatron leave the game. He's been a great ambassador for football and his contributions to the game will be missed #megatron— Jerel Worthy (@I_AM_Worthy99) January 31, 2016
- James Ihedigbo chimed in from Instagram.
- Another former Lion, Joseph Fauria, shared his own thoughts for his former teammate.
- Patrick Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals also seemed to take the report at value and gave his respects to Megatron.
- Corey Fuller also paid his respects and said his farewells (if they are indeed to be farewells)