- Though he announced his retirement nearly a month ago, Rashean Mathis is now officially out of the National Football League:
The Lions officially placed Rashean Mathis on the reserved/retired list today, per the NFL transaction wire— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) March 2, 2016
- Jim Caldwell released a statement on Mathis' retirement, calling him "the consummate pro both on and off the field."
- Both Eric Ebron and Darius Slay responded to the news of Mathis' retirement (again):
- Isa Abdul-Quddus was listed by Pro Football Focus as the league's best free-agent bargain.
- Earlier in the year, Detroit Lions team president Rod Wood talked about a new alternate jersey for 2016 and even possibly a color scheme change later in the future. As a result, ESPN is running a "Uni Watch challenge." Readers are being asked to submit their own redesign of the Lions. If you're the artsy type, check out the rules here.
- Tyrunn Walker, who is scheduled to become a free agent on March 9, looks like he is in good shape after breaking his leg last season:
- Todd McShay has the Lions selecting OT Taylor Decker in the first round of his post-combine mock draft.
- The Atlanta Falcons said goodbye to their franchise all-time leading wide receiver. Roddy White was released on Wednesday after 11 years in Atlanta. The moved saved the Falcons $2.4 million in cap space.