- I'm generally of the mind that any record prognostication is useless right now, but I'm in the vast minority, at least among those vocal. MLive's poll is awash with the hope that springs eternal in the human heart, while Dave Birkett of the Free Press is struggling to see how the Lions can put together a winning record.
- For the second time this offseason, Lions defensive end and free agent Jason Jones is meeting with the Miami Dolphins.
- Draft prospect Shaq Lawson, defensive end out of Clemson, had a medical re-check on his shoulder earlier in the year, which proved to be a major question going into the draft. However, results are in that the shoulder injury suffered should not impact his 2016 availability. According to Ian Rapoport this shoulder issue was a hang-up for one team at the combine, who checked it out and found nothing wrong.
- Speaking of Shaq Lawson, check out Alex Reno's writeup on him over at the Free Press.
- Just think for a moment how many careers have been spawned from this event. How many front office people and coaches have gotten jobs because they were able to be near the winning, the quarterbacks that got contracts because they simply held Brady's clipboard. All the sports talk gas bags and neurotic callers who believe the next superhero is out there, lurking somewhere on the last day of the draft:
16 years ago today, Bill Belichick turned 48 - and celebrated his birthday by making best draft pick in NFL history: pic.twitter.com/dN2uBIvWkj— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 16, 2016
- Who-is-assuredly former football player and certainly former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel is once again back and forefront with his downward spiral. He is now accused of trashing a Los Angeles house with an alcohol-and-drug-fueled bender with his buddies. The owners of the house are demanding $32,000 in compensation for damages or they will sue Manziel and his agent Drew Rosenhaus (although Rosenhaus dropped Manziel as a client a few days ago).
Also: early 2016 schedule prognostication and updates on Shaq Lawson