The first day of mandatory minicamp is in the books for the 2016 Detroit Lions. Only two more practices remain before players break for over a month, leading up to the beginning of training camp in late July. All minicamp sessions are open to the media, so let’s take a look at what they're saying about Tuesday's practice.
- The Lions are getting much healthier. Kyle Meinke of MLive has a good breakdown of each injury the team is dealing with, but here's the main points. Ameer Abdullah, Stevan Ridley, Brandon Pettigrew, Stefan Charles, Caraun Reid and Charles Washington all sat out of practice. Glover Quin was limited in practice, sitting out team drills.
- Taylor Decker continues to get work on the left side, according to MLive's Justin Rogers. Riley Reiff remains at right tackle.
- All of the beat reporters gushed about a catch Golden Tate made during practice. Lucky for us, the team caught it on tape:
Nice catch, @ShowtimeTate pic.twitter.com/Q7v1TtrLLn— Detroit Lions (@Lions) June 15, 2016
- There are a few important updates when it comes to the Lions' crowded wide receiver competition. First, Jeremy Kerley was back after sitting due to an undisclosed injury. He and TJ Jones were splitting time as the No. 1 slot receiver. However, special teams contribution may be the way for some receivers to justify a roster spot. According to Rogers, Kerley, Tate, Jones, and Jace Billingsley joined newly-acquired Andre Roberts as part of the punt return team.
- With Abdullah and Ridley on the mend, running back George Winn was taking first-team reps. Sorry, Zach Zenner fans.
- The Lions worked out four mysterious free agents early in practice. Detroit did not release the names of those players to the public. Here’s all we know:
Lions worked out four players during practice today. Unnamed DB, unnamed RB, unnamed DE and unnamed TE.— Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) June 14, 2016
- Former Lions defensive end Robert Porcher visiting practice and appeared to talk to youngster Ezekiel Ansah:
Robert Porcher visits practice, praises @Ziggy_Ansah— Detroit Lions (@Lions) June 14, 2016
: https://t.co/lFqYDhJhX6 pic.twitter.com/6kPPbGaV2p