- Detroit Lions punter Sam Martin was named the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week after averaging 58.8 yards per punt with a net average of 55.5 against the Colts. This is the third time Martin has been given this honor.
- The Lions worked out two more players on Wednesday:
QB Phillip Sims also worked out for the #Lions.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) September 14, 2016
WR Aaron Dobson worked out for the #49ers and Nate Washington worked out for the #Lions today.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) September 14, 2016
- Chris Wesseling of NFL.com ranked Theo Riddick as the third best pass-catching running back in the league, behind David Johnson and Le’Veon Bell.
- Speaking of Riddick, have you ever wanted to why Theo makes that “woop” noise when he makes a cut? He answered that and several other questions on this week’s version of DetroitLions.com’s #AskALion.
- Geoff Schwartz may have been cut by the Lions a few weeks ago, but he’s still keeping tabs on the team, and he likes what he sees:
Y'all seem to enjoy OL clips... Here's Larry Warford, @wardaddy_75, with a coaches clinic reach and finish. pic.twitter.com/Znwyu897V2— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) September 14, 2016
1 of my fav blocks of the week. Riley Reiff, who's crushed it at RT, digging out 4T on the GL. This is a hard block pic.twitter.com/NFYyDrHj8n— Geoff Schwartz (@geoffschwartz) September 14, 2016
- We all remember the nasty picture of Calvin Johnson’s fingers after his playing career. Well, now Golden Tate may have to be careful. According to the Lions receiver, Matthew Stafford’s passes are already mangling his digits. (WARNING: That article features the Calvin Johnson finger surgery pictures. They are graphic.)
- Jeff Risdon of SideLion Report believes defensive coordinator Teryl Austin is to blame for the Lions’ poor defensive performance in Week 1.