- Philly Voice calculated the average age of each team’s current 53-man roster. The Detroit Lions came out with the 18th youngest roster, with an average age of 26.09 years. While the Lions would probably like to see that number go down, they have actually been getting younger every year since 2013, when they ranked last in the league.
- Saturday, we focused on the impressive preseason that Kerry Hyder had, but rookie Antwione Williams was also a beast during the exhibition season:
LB Antwione Williams finished the preseason tied for fifth in the @NFL with 20 tackles. pic.twitter.com/RRussnWZYl— Detroit Lions (@Lions) September 3, 2016
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press postulates that Dwayne Washington may be the Lions’ kick returner in 2016.
- Stevan Ridley, released by the Lions a few weeks ago, didn’t last long with the Indianapolis Colts:
RB Stevan Ridley, just signed, is being released by the #Colts, source said.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 3, 2016
- However, Jeremy Kerley, who the Lions traded to the 49ers last week, did make San Francisco’s initial 53-man roster.
- The Lions play the Bears in Week 3 of the regular season, which means they will not have to face defensive star Pernell McPhee, who was placed on the reserve/PUP list on Saturday:
The #Bears officially placed OLB Pernell McPhee and WR Marquess Wilson on the PUP list, so they're out the first six weeks.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 3, 2016
- Eric Ebron’s alma mater, UNC, fell to Matthew Stafford’s former college Georgia on Saturday night. Stafford doesn’t have any social media, so we can’t tell how bad Stafford was giving him the business, but tight end Orson Charles also went to Georgia, and he couldn’t help himself:
September 4, 2016
- Here’s a look at the financial implications from Saturday’s cuts:
#Lions cap hits today after 21 cuts:— Erik Schlitt (@erikschlitt) September 4, 2016
Alex Carter: $516,561
Caraun Reid: $94,440
Gabe Wright: $390,867
Darrin Walls:$ 80,000
Total: $1,215,608— Erik Schlitt (@erikschlitt) September 4, 2016
on the flip side despite the cap hits the #Lions still managed t clear $1,378,020— Erik Schlitt (@erikschlitt) September 4, 2016